Need info on Rio Verde in Valles - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-04-2006   #1

Student
Need info on Rio Verde in Valles

Heading down to Mexico soon and have paddled everything around Valles except for the Verde. Does anyone have some good info on this run? I heard that there are two canyons. Worth doing both? Is there a walking portage around the Big falls or do we need a long rappel rope? Thanks for any info. Adios, Atom...

atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2006   #2

Ski Patrol
went down there last year. Feel free to give me a shout. We ran both canyons in 2 days. Solid river.

mike hagadorn
970 547 8124
DeLiSh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006   #3

It was a long time ago, but I remember it as my favorite river in the area. The upper section was the best in my opinion. It starts out in a box canyon so be prepared for wood and rope work. We roped boats around a solid drop with a hole next to a wall, but could probably be run fine. We lowered boats down the big one and walked around (long bushwack). The other we repelled, but I think it could be easily down climbed. Regardless, be prepared for rope work. We camped below one of the falls on a sandy beach. One of the most beautiful and happiest memories of my life. We weren't planning on camping but couldn't resist spending more time in that incredible environment. Next morning you get to eat a perfect 15-20 footer for breakfast. The lower section (below a sketchy town) was good with one amazing big falls. Easiest 40 footer ever. Aside from Resurrection falls, the rest was worthwhile but not great.

In short if I was going back to that area and only had one river to do, this would be it.
bigboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2006   #4

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
I ran the first canyon, but someday I want to go back and hit the 3rd canyon Verde through the 4th canyon of the Santa Maria. That would be an awesome multi-day.

You can actually portage the 100 footer- there are bolt anchors on the river left side of the cliff (hard to find), but if you walk along the steep slope on river left (not too high- through the scrub brush before it slopes off to the cliff) you'll find a faint & sketchy trail that leads you to a exposed trail can walk down, although it would be really sketchy with a loaded boat on your shoulder. We lowered our boats off the anchor before finding the trail, but you could set a chicken line down the trail so that you didn't risk sliding off the side of the valley.

The 40+ footer is runnable (water / testicle dependent) but you can portage by rappelling 20' to a landing then jump in the pool below.

Gorgeous canyon- billed as the "Green Narrows of Mexico", but it's no where close to NC's level of difficulty - I would say a couple of rapids at V- and one big optional waterfall (the 40 footer).
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006   #5

Golden, Colorado
I ran the first canyon, but someday I want to go back and hit the 3rd canyon Verde through the 4th canyon of the Santa Maria. That would be an awesome multi-day.

You can actually portage the 100 footer- there are bolt anchors on the river left side of the cliff (hard to find), but if you walk along the steep slope on river left (not too high- through the scrub brush before it slopes off to the cliff) you'll find a faint & sketchy trail that leads you to a exposed trail can walk down, although it would be really sketchy with a loaded boat on your shoulder. We lowered our boats off the anchor before finding the trail, but you could set a chicken line down the trail so that you didn't risk sliding off the side of the valley.

The 40+ footer is runnable (water / testicle dependent) but you can portage by rappelling 20' to a landing then jump in the pool below.

Gorgeous canyon- billed as the "Green Narrows of Mexico", but it's no where close to NC's level of difficulty - I would say a couple of rapids at V- and one big optional waterfall (the 40 footer).
Old 12-07-2006   #6

Student
thanks

Thanks to everyone that responded with some info. So is it mandatory to carry a big ass rope for rappelling, or can we bushwack around stuff and (or) jump into the pools? Any info on the 3rd canyon down to the Santa Maria? El Flaco mentioned that. Thanks again, Atom...
atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006   #7

Golden, Colorado
Sent you a PM...
Old 12-11-2006   #8

Atom,
We carried long new throw ropes. I don't think you would need to carry an actual climbing rope. Tie throw ropes together to lower boats for the big one and have someone at the bottom to unhook. We repelled off of the throw ropes for the 40 footer with Swiss seat harnesses of 1 inch webbing and munter hitches. We managed to keep the gear to a minimum. We camped at the bottom of the 40 footer so I had time to screw around. I managed to climb back up it and retrieve our webbing anchor, so it can be down climbed. Still use the webbing today for strapping boats down.
Its a great river,
Matt
Old 12-12-2006   #9

Just saw the question about the 3rd canyon (below Resurrection I assume). Second trip down to Mexico part of our crew did it because the upper stuff was too low. Two of us opted out because it was cold, rainy, and we were covered in cow shit (unmotivating). Instead we were invited to an awesome Mexican birthday party by the road to Resurrection. Great food and awesome people. They had an entire cow on a spit. But anyway, about the third canyon (starting to sound like the Cali guide book). They said it was good. Not too hard. No big surprises. Some portaging. I got the impression that it was worthwhile, but they weren't bustin-a-nut about it or anything. It took them two days and we picked them up at Tamule falls (sp?...the big ass falls above the Santa Maria). They put in above Resurrection falls (seems like that can be run at very low flows). We had no prior knoledge, or if this was even a run. Just That the Verde intersected the Santa Maria on a map, and we were there. I think I remember them saying the Santa Maria was the best part. The whole thing from the first canyon to Tamule would probably be and awesome 4 day or so just for the adventure.