need glenwood springs info - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-25-2005   #1

need glenwood springs info

i am an east coast 4+ boater looking at a job in glenwood springs. can anybody give me any info on the boating scene (or life there in general).

curious about length of boating season, reliability of flow, distances to rivers.

(i posted this question on Boatertalk and somebody suggested i check this site out.)

thanks

lasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2005   #2
Don

Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990
Glenwood

Glenwood is one of the most breathtaking places to paddle in the state. The distance to the river is right around 15 feet. The Colorado splits the town. The Roaring Fork is also right there. The Crystal is right up the road. Eagle is less than an hour away. Steamboat and the Yampa are close and so is Westwater.

Ski resorts are close. Buy your pass now at www.snow.com

If you have a job lined up you have got nothing to lose.

The local shop is Colorado Canoe and Kayak.

PS. The word on the street is that they have a new paly park in the works.
Old 10-25-2005   #3

Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
There is year round easy access class III whitewater on the Shoshone section just outside of town. During runoff season, it becomes big water class IV, and varios sections of the Colorado upstream run at class IV and V levels. Also, like other guy said, Roaring Fork, and dozens of rivers and creeks within an hour's drive! Glenwood could be one of the best places to live on the western slope of Colorado for paddling. It is also in between Aspen and Vail, about an hour to each for skiing, biking, etc.
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2005   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Glenwood rocks!

The shoshone section of the colorado runs all year long and offers class III play in a beautiful canyon with a shuttle that you can do with a bike. After all the other runs in colorado dry up, shoshone is still running and will keep running till its too cold for most of us and we would rather ski or board.

Glenwood is nice too because its in a valley at about 5700 feet, which means its warmer than the mountain locations in the 8000-9000 ft elevations. Glenwood has one of the coolest hot springs pools around that is a gigantic outdoor hottub basically with a hot (104F) pool and a mild (90F) pool. The pool is perfect after a day on the river or a day on the slopes.

I really like glenwood because it is big enough to have the I want in a town, big grocery store, hardware store, restuarants, bars, coffee shops, micro brew etc. Its also more of a town vs a super posh ski resort town.

The area has it all for boating... class III play, continuous class IV rivers (roaring fork), class IV+ creeking (castle creek near aspen), and lots of harder stuff if you want it.

If my wife and I had jobs I would move to glenwood in a heartbeat. Housing might be expensive, but it would be worth it!
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005   #5

Salida, Colorado
Glenwood

I live in glenwood e-mail me your ph# I'll call you.
Old 10-25-2005   #6

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
As for lenght of season, the main stuff is May, June, July. Many of the smaller drainage runs start to tail off in August, but there is still good boating. shoshone still runs and has some dam control. Gore canyon on the upper colorado runs most of the late summer and is a classic IV-V run (3 V's, but mainly IV). Westwater is a late season treat thats a desert canyon overnighter. Shoshone is 10 minutes from work to put in probably, roaring fork, creeks are withing an hour or so. Lots more stuff in the state accessible withing 2-3 hours. If you are willing to road trip, stuff in new mexico and arizona (salt, rio grande) start running in march, april. As for reliable, its almost all snow melt, and it snows every winter, so its pretty damn reliable. Snow pack and warm up trends dictate what kind of peak you get, how early how long etc, but its pretty reliable. When the water runs out you have ski season, and in may and october/november, you can even go boating and boarding on the same day if you want (I am on Friday).

One thing I will say is that if you want to boat as much as humanly possible, the southeast has a longer season. With that said, if you like snowsports you probably won't miss boating too much as you will be having too much fun skiing or boarding. Every bit of snow that drops makes the boarding better, and you know that its just going to make next years boating season better too. Best of both worlds in my opinion.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005   #7

thanks!

i really appreciate the info. i am sold.
lasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005   #8

Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Don't forget Upper Death, Life After Death, Barrel Springs, etc. above Shoshone. (They run whenever the Shoshone gage is above a few grand.) Don't ask me about them though, I haven't hit them.
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote