Need Advice on Rowing Frames - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-28-2008   #1

Need Advice on Rowing Frames

Hello and thanks in advance for any advice.
I just bought a 15' Maravia, and would like some advice as to what frames have been used and what the pros and cons are.

Im down to a Clavey:
Rowing Frames - Clavey Expedition Whitewater Raft Frame

A Cambridge:
http://www.maravia.com/frames/main.cfm?page=casraft

or the NRS:
NRS Compact Outfitter Raft Frame

I really do like the Cambridge because it comes with everything Id like to do for outfitting, ie.. half dry-boxes in the cockpit is a huge plus, but that could also be finagled in with any other frame. Im trying to avoid a drop deck, and know nothing about steel vs- aluminum when it comes to raft frames. The Clavey seems OK, but I think the NRS is comperable and thier "u-bolt" system seems tuffer than the speed rail allen nuts.
If anyone has had good or bad experiences with these frames or knows of other frames out there that may work for 500-700$ Id really like to know.

Thanks again in advance!

Tiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2008   #2

Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
U-bolts are certainly not tougher than the speed rail, they are much weaker. Where do you live? You should try a local shop to put your package together, not one of the big box websites.
Matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008   #3
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
For that price you can have your frame made by Ron at River Boat Works in Salida. Compared to what he makes the frames above are pure garbage.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2008   #4

Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I'll second that.
Matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008   #5

fort collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
I can only speak to NRS, and then only cat frames. I suppose they are OK, but totally generic. I found that they are made for the least common denominator. I think you would be much better off getting something custom made for your specific needs. I did after 1 season.
Wnt2b0at is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008   #6

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Drop Floors are pretty sweet. I really like having something solid to stand on, and a place to put stuff on either side of the footwell.
CanyonEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008   #7

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
For that price you can have your frame made by Ron at River Boat Works in Salida. Compared to what he makes the frames above are pure garbage.
What separates Ron's frames from the Clavey or NRS frames? I've gone and looked at AAA and DRE in Denver and their frames seemed quite similar to the NRS and Clavey ones. The only real difference was that they were quite willing to customize the exact sizing of the frame and build it to whatever spec's I asked for (number of bays, breakdown options, bends, etc). I bet that Clavey and possibly NRS would do the same for a nominal fee.

It seems like most people are using either 6061 or 6063 Aluminum tubing in either 1.25" or 1.5" IPS. Most people use speed rail joints, NRS uses their own design, the LoPro. From what I have heard the NRS joints are much easier to move to accommodate different sized coolers or boxes and for completely breaking down and building up the frame. I have heard that the speed rail joints can be a pain in the rear.

I will second the comment about drop floors, they make rigging extra boxes, stoves, water jugs, etc. easy and standing on them is nice.

Quote:
U-bolts are certainly not tougher than the speed rail, they are much weaker.
Have you seen or heard about the NRS LoPro fittings failing or breaking? I agree that the speed rail joints look, and probably are, much stronger - I'm just wondering if the NRS stuff actually breaks.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008   #8

Ill probably contact Ron in Salida.
Im very interested in having nicely mounted dry boxes in the cockpit.
Does that mean you need a drop floor?

Thanks for all the tips.
Tiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008   #9

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Im very interested in having nicely mounted dry boxes in the cockpit.
Not necessarily, Down River makes bags for 20 MM rocket boxes to sit in the cockpit w/o a drop floor. I would assume that you could get them made to the right size for the captains boxes.

http://www.downriverequip.com/asp/pr...sp?product=363
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008   #10
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Tiggy, Down River frames are great. I'm buying one this month. I was going with River Boat Works, but I get a DR pro purchase and it's a little cheaper. I bet he's cheaper than DR on retail, but you should buy from him to restore balance to the universe.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote