Neck gasket repair?? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-01-2007   #1

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Neck gasket repair??

I blew my neck gasket out on my drytop this weekend ...any suggestions on how to fix it?

Is it worth it to do the self-repair? Does anyone know of a local shop that can fix them in the front-range area?

Thanks!
Drew

funkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2007   #2
Owner: Class 5 Carvings

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I have not done one but if you want to take it in RMA in Fort Collins on 287 will or used to repair gaskets. Good luck here is there info:

970-493-4005
1117 N. 287 (college and Shields)
Paul the Kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007   #3
Owner: Class 5 Carvings

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Funkins, Read all the old posts that come up under this post, there is some good advice for do it you selfers as well as it mentions a few places that do a good job.

Alpenglow in Golden
Confluence in Denver
CKS in BV
Your drytops manufacturer
Some place in NC

and so on, take a look!

P the K
Paul the Kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2007   #4

Ft Collins, Colorado
Neck gasket replacement

Is it worth it to do the self-repair? Does anyone know of a local shop that can fix them in the front-range area?

====

I had RMA replace my neck gasket, and my wife did her own. She did a better job. I think most commercial places will cut the old gasket off, leaving about an inch attached to the drytop. They then glue the new gasket on top the remaining part of old one.

If you do it yoursefl, you can peel all the old gasket off and glue the new one directly to the material. So after you're done, there's less material around your neck. I don't think I notice the extra material, but someone small (like my wife) would. I suspect it's a lot of time to peel the old one off, so it would probably be expensive for the shops to do this, but you could ask them. If you decide to do your own, you *really* want to use the templates that are available. It's seems pretty easy with the templates, and a real (and messy) pain without.

johng
johng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007   #5

I blew my neck gasket in my Stohlquist about 4 years ago (back when the Stohlquists were the most bomber top you could get, IMO). I sent it in and they replaced it for about $45, including shipping. I'm pretty sure they did not leave extra material like John mentions. They did an awesome job considering I didn't trust myself to do that kind of repair on that expensive of an item, at the time. It did take about 3 weeks, though, a real bummer if you don't have a spare (or if it doesn't happen at the end of the season, as it fortuitously did for me).

COUNT
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007   #6

i have done 4 or 5 neck gaskets no big deal spend some time to find or make something that will fit the neck of your dry top. i found a dinner plate that fits great. the dinner plate also has the advantage of the glue not sticking to it. cut out the old gasket down to the dry top material, then sand the rubber that is left to ruff it up. clean the area with denatured alcohol. put the glue on the top and clamp the gasket to the top. before gluing the gasket to the top spend some time clamping the gasket to the dry top with out glue to make sure you like the fit. i use small wood working spring clamps and clothespins with wax paper to keep the clamps from sticking to the dry top. after the glue has dried take off the clamps then add a bead of glue around the seam. if you get a small void between the gasket and the dry top don't worry push a little glue into the void. with accelerator for the glue i have started at 5 pm and paddled the next day. for the third gasket i took all of the old gaskets off it gets to be too bulky to have three layers.
bill is offline   Reply With Quote