NC/Eastern TN boating/camping in March??? - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-05-2006   #1

In this bullshit three-ring circus sideshow of freaks, Arkansas
Paddling Since: 1986
Send a message via AIM to kayakArkansas
NC/Eastern TN boating/camping in March???

Anyone out there from NC/Eastern TN know the best likelihood for boating in the Asheville area or near Tellico? I'm headed out that way on the weekend of the 18-21st. I'm also looking for some folks to boat with if anyone could point me towards some good class IV-V creek boaters it would be appreciated. Also, anyone point me in the right direction as far as sweet campgrounds preferably near put-ins/take-outs or anything in the general vacinity of great boating. Facilities are not necessarily a must. I'm meeting some boater friends of mine from Arkansas but I think some of them are more class III boaters so I may be looking to mix it up a bit. Last time I was in Asheville some of my local contacts were raving about a 'brush' creek. Anybody know of this run maybe provide some detail? Any answers to any/all of the above questions would be greatly appreciated!! If somebody is boating out that way that weekend and knows their way around a little better than I and wouldn't mind a competent class V creeker taggin along then it'd be worth some beer to me to hook up with somebody(in a boating sense of course....I'm bringing my own gal ) Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,

Zach Williams

kayakArkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2006   #2

BIg Green race on the 18th for a fundraiser. Should be a really good time. Party at LL after the race. The green has been running mostly during the week, but it does look like we have some rain in the forecast. Not too sure of anything else that is runing without help from some precip. I would say head to asheville and see what happens, if nothing else goes off, the green will most likley be running.

i live in asheville if you need someone to boat with.

eric
847-975-8164
huckit21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006   #3
River Gypsy

Swannanoa, North Carolina
Zach-

Brush Creek takes a lot of rain to run, so you will have to get lucky to get on that one. Right now it's been pretty dry down here, but we're hoping it will start to turn wetter this coming weekend.

You can find info on a lot of the runs around here in my new guidebook. It's like CRCII but for NC and the surrounding area.

In the class IV/V range I would say you should look to hit Wilson Creek, Sinks of the Little, Watauga, Doe, Rocky Broad, North and/or West Fork French Broad - there are a lot of choices in that range. They're all in the book.

http://www.brushymountainpublishing.com/nccreeks/

Hope you have a great trip!

Leland
Leland is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2006   #4

Leland,

All the runs you listed are def on my list. I've done a few of them in past times...Thanks for the info!

Zach W
Old 03-06-2006   #5

Leland,

I just ordered my copy of the North Carolina bible....is it really going to take 2 weeks to get to me?? Thanks....

Zach W.
Old 03-06-2006   #6

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Zach,

I did a TN/NC trip last year at the end of march and it was one of the best for me! As for Tellico camping, if you want to run the river a couple of days in a row, camping out there is good, and the little river in the smokies is close by too. When I was there I looked at the camp sites, and they would be fine for boaters. No services, and minimalist campgrounds, but you are right there next to the river. Good class III stuff downstream and fun III/IV at the ledges. I would call the tellico ranger office to get the details on the camp sites. Here is some info for them.

Tellico Ranger Office, U.S. Forest Service, 250 Ranger Station Road, Tellico Plains, TN 37385. Phone (423) 253-2520.

The tellico and the little are close by, but the other NC runs are pretty far away, you might want to pack up shop and head over there for the wilson, doe, watauga runs etc.

Of course its all rain dependent, so its hit or miss. I lucked out and march is usually a good time. If nothing is going, there is always the chattooga, which is a bit of a drive, but worth it if nothing else is running. Have fun!
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006   #7
River Gypsy

Swannanoa, North Carolina
Zach-

It shouldn't take 2 weeks - we just post that to cover our asses because sometimes the US Postal Service is slow. We ship 2-3 days per week, then it's up to the USPS from there. It should go first class.

thanks for buying the book - hopefully it'll help you out!

Leland
Leland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006   #8

Yeah I'm pretty excited about it. I appreciate the info. I didn't even know there was a current NC guidebook & NC is one of my favorite places to go boating SYOTR