Navajo Operations Change - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-06-2013   #1

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Navajo Operations Change

NAVAJO RESERVOIR RELEASES
May 6, 2013
SENT VIA FAX AND E-MAIL

As a result of higher river flows in the San Juan River Basin, the Bureau of Reclamation has scheduled a decrease in the release from Navajo Reservoir from 350 to 250 cubic feet per second (cfs) on Tuesday, May 7th, beginning at 8:00 a.m. Releases are made for the authorized purposes of the Navajo Unit, and to attempt to maintain a target base flow through the endangered fish critical habitat reach of the San Juan River (Farmington to Lake Powell).

The San Juan River Basin Recovery Implementation Program recommends a target base flow of between 500 cfs and 1,000 cfs through the critical habitat area. The target base flow is calculated as the weekly average of gaged flows throughout the critical habitat area.

This scheduled release change is subject to changes in river flows and weather conditions. If you have any questions, please contact Ryan Christianson at 970-385-6590 or e-mail at [email protected].
--
Susan Novak Behery, P.E.
Hydrologic Engineer
Reclamation
Western Colorado Area Office
Durango, CO
[email protected]
970-385-6560

sjnovak3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2013   #2

Denver, Colorado
350cfs?!?

Hi Susan,

I noticed that the San Juan at Bluff has been draining steadily for the past week. Now today it is at 350cfs! Will the releases be bumped up to keep the flow above 500cfs? I have a trip starting on May 23, and we may have to cancel it if the flows don't increase. It would be a major bummer, as we have several members of our group flying into the region to do the float.

What is accounting for the massive drain on the river? Is it agricultural users?

Thanks for your great communication on this forum! It is very helpful!

Tim
lawoftheriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013   #3

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Looks like they missed their targeted flow! Oops!
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2013   #4

Durango, Colorado
We had a cool spell in the upper basin for the last week, but it started warming up this last weekend and the Animas is up, so the water's on its way. Check out the upstream gages (Animas @ Durango) and you'll see a good sized bump coming from the snowmelt. The folks out there now are experiencing some extremely low flows, but even if we increased the release when it became evident it would get that low, the increase would have three days of travel time from Navajo. The water from the Animas will actually get there sooner.

The target base flows we maintain are a weekly average of the gaged flows from Farmington (downstream of the Animas) to Lake Powell, so even though we had a low few days at Bluff, the weekly average is still above our minimum target of 500 cfs. While we try to accommodate recreational uses of the river when we have that flexibility, unfortunately we're on our third year of well-below average inflow conditions so we can only release what we absolutely need to.

If you have any other questions, my info is below.

--
Susan Novak Behery, P.E.
Hydrologic Engineer
Reclamation
Durango, CO
[email protected]
970-385-6560
Old 05-15-2013   #5

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Thank you so much for keeping us updated on the situation at Navajo Susan. It is greatly appreciated.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013   #6

Rollinsville, Colorado
San Juan Prediction

Hi Susan,

Any general predication on what the San Juan River near Bluff will be at for our June 6th launch? I understand releases from Navajo Dam will likely stay around 250-350 cfs so that water levels can increase in the Reservoir. Will the other trib's downstream of the reservoir contribute enough water to bring the levels above 800cfs? Thanks!
Rea W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013   #7

Denver, Colorado
Here's a thread you should check out

This should have a lot of the info you're looking for:
https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...ows-47798.html

Everyone I've talked to and everything I've read points to the level coming back up to 1000+. Hope it's soon enough for my trip next week.
Old 05-16-2013   #8

Durango South, 4CRS
Paddling Since: 07
Shiprock is already at 1800 cfs, and that is about 93 miles upstream. I'm thinking you will see close to 2000 by mid-week. Good timing!
Old 05-17-2013   #9

Durango, Colorado
Well it's a little later than I expected, but the SJ came up overnight and is running 1300 through Bluff and will keep climbing. Hopefully some poor rafters down there will become un-stuck and it will be a great weekend for anyone putting in today.

@Rea Give me a call or email closer to your launch date and I'll have a better idea of the forecast. Right now it looks like you'll have over 800 but it really depends on how fast the Animas finishes its runoff, which we expect sometime in early to mid June.

--
Susan Novak Behery, P.E.
Hydrologic Engineer
Reclamation
Durango, CO
[email protected]
970-385-6560
Old 05-17-2013   #10

Denver, Colorado
THANK GOD!

What a burden for Colorado to always have to bail out our neighbors in a water bind! I guess we can just add that to the long list of reasons why Colorado is awesome!