My freestyle inflatable kayak ducky surfing video.. - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 09-15-2011   #1

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
My freestyle inflatable kayak ducky surfing video..

This was shot like 8 years ago, and I'm not sure I have the flexibility to do this kind of thing anymore, but I thought this video was worth sharing..

Shot on the Main Payette River, I am surfing a pretty fast wave in an Aire Force inflatable kayak.. Not sure on the size of the boat.

-Micah Kneidl

Favre is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2011   #2

x, x
Paddling Since: x
I think I saw a back loop. Cayo2 will be stoked to see this. nice.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011   #3

Denver, Colorado
hell yeah! That wave looks sweeeet.Definitely the funnest ducky to surf - never tried or even seen a Stilletto though- but much less forgiving than other duckies.Impressive, are you actually rolling, or bracing up from way over,a 3/4 roll,hard to tell from the vid?

Looks like the original Force XL 10 ft.3 x34 in. w/10 1/2 in.? tubes, the Force was 9'6'' x 32'' x10''? tubes and even spankier,doubt it would support two dudes so well.They changed the design,not sure i like the changes -bigger tubes wider-but haven't demoed one. You must be pretty tall to hand paddle the xl .I' m 6'4'' and have to cock the boat on edge a little to reach the water well ,just with hands though not hand paddles.Nice vid ,thanks.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2011   #4

Leadvillian, Colorado
well done
Matt J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011   #5

Nampa, Idaho
I am rolling up, in the video always in a 360' motion (meaning if I flip to the right, I roll up on the other side..) I am at least 6'1" tall. You are correct that in the original Force designs by Aire Inflatables..

I must admit that it is easier to roll up when I am violently windowshaded, it almost does the work for me..
Old 09-15-2011   #6

Denver, Colorado
awesome ! thought you rolled once and did what i was talking about a couple other times.Never could roll mine,can roll my kayak but lousy % combat roll,could self rescue extremely well and super fast 'til i gained 40lbs.,struggle more now.Playing definitely hones those skills,why i love Union here on the So.Platte.You put up with skank water to get convenient quality practice....back to drinkin'
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011   #7
Total Newb

Grants Pass, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2010
That's very impressive! Didn't even know duckies could do that! Would you say that's only possible in something like the Aire Force, or you feel you could pull that off in a slightly larger one, say something with 11" tubes and 36" wide?
ScottM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011   #8
fun hog

D-go go, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
sick...looks like a blast! well done
mountainjah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011   #9

Nampa, Idaho
ScottM - I would say it might be possible in a slightly larger ducky, but what makes this possible are thigh straps. The thigh straps both hold me in the boat when I'm flipping over and make it possible to roll up. But - I am not familiar with a ducky that is more high performance than the Aire Force.

This might go without saying, but I'm also an "expert" kayaker. In my humble opinion, that's what really makes those moves possible.
Old 09-16-2011   #10
Sponsoring Vendors

Meridian, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1989
That was cool! It does look like an old Force XL. Do you mind if I post that video link in our Force customer gallery? Thanks for posting!

Peace,
Sheena
AIRE Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote