Mountain Buzz banner

My freestyle inflatable kayak ducky surfing video..

5K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Favre 
#1 ·
This was shot like 8 years ago, and I'm not sure I have the flexibility to do this kind of thing anymore, but I thought this video was worth sharing..

Shot on the Main Payette River, I am surfing a pretty fast wave in an Aire Force inflatable kayak.. Not sure on the size of the boat.

Ducky Freestyle Kayaking - YouTube

-Micah Kneidl

#3 ·
hell yeah! That wave looks sweeeet.Definitely the funnest ducky to surf - never tried or even seen a Stilletto though- but much less forgiving than other duckies.Impressive, are you actually rolling, or bracing up from way over,a 3/4 roll,hard to tell from the vid?

Looks like the original Force XL 10 ft.3 x34 in. w/10 1/2 in.? tubes, the Force was 9'6'' x 32'' x10''? tubes and even spankier,doubt it would support two dudes so well.They changed the design,not sure i like the changes -bigger tubes wider-but haven't demoed one. You must be pretty tall to hand paddle the xl .I' m 6'4'' and have to cock the boat on edge a little to reach the water well ,just with hands though not hand paddles.Nice vid ,thanks.

#5 ·
I am rolling up, in the video always in a 360' motion (meaning if I flip to the right, I roll up on the other side..) I am at least 6'1" tall. You are correct that in the original Force designs by Aire Inflatables..

I must admit that it is easier to roll up when I am violently windowshaded, it almost does the work for me..

#6 ·
awesome ! thought you rolled once and did what i was talking about a couple other times.Never could roll mine,can roll my kayak but lousy % combat roll,could self rescue extremely well and super fast 'til i gained 40lbs.,struggle more now.Playing definitely hones those skills,why i love Union here on the So.Platte.You put up with skank water to get convenient quality practice....back to drinkin'

#9 ·
ScottM - I would say it might be possible in a slightly larger ducky, but what makes this possible are thigh straps. The thigh straps both hold me in the boat when I'm flipping over and make it possible to roll up. But - I am not familiar with a ducky that is more high performance than the Aire Force.

This might go without saying, but I'm also an "expert" kayaker. In my humble opinion, that's what really makes those moves possible.

#11 ·
Favre,

Yeah it's your skills and the outfitting of that boat. You can lock into the boat more like a kayak than other duckies ,especially if you're big. The cockpit is tiny,your hips touch the side tubes,good thigh straps and equally important a really good foot brace. A wider boat would be even harder to roll.It's been done. You usually fall out upside down in a combat roll situation. You definitely can do old school real basic play in any good duck ie ,front and side surfing,spins,huge enders,etc.,but you can:t initiate moves like a play boat you have to use the feature to sink the ends even in the Force.

#12 ·
Sheena,

I grew up in Nampa, Idaho and have been paddling on the Payette for many years.. Some time ago, I used to want to get sponsored by you guys - have you provide me with a boat and in exchange I would get great photos and video of me pushing the limits of inflatable kayaking and running the North Fork of the Payette. :) I suppose most customers aren't looking for much above class 3.

Of course you are able to use the video on your website!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.