My first whitwater kayak - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-23-2013   #1

Noneya, Alaska
My first whitwater kayak

Well folks I just chomped on whitewater kayak I saw on Craigslist. I should tell you I have never been in one before. That being said I have a healthy pack rafting background. Just looking for what to expect and any tips for a beginner hardsheller. Also might add this is my first post.

Repairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2013   #2

Arvada, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
i would of actually suggested posting on here BEFORE you bought a boat on craigslist ! i made that mistake - and man o man- did i pay, talk about the wrong boat for a beginner. you will hear countless suggestions- but trust me on this. you dont want a playboat. river runners are best for starting out. you'll find your niche soon enough. make sure you get gear in good condition. boat, skirt, paddle, pfd, and helmet. make sure everything fits right and is rated for your weight (pfd and boat).take a beginners class- this will save you counless hours of frustration and wet exits. afterwords hit those pool sessions and get a decent roll-and when you think your ready for the river, get back on here and find some experienced boaters to paddle with ( not beginners like you ). remember it takes time to learn-dont rush-and dont paddle outside your skill level. enjoy.
Skillkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #3

Noneya, Alaska
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3078842627.jpg
Views:	541
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	5825
This is the boat I picked up. Liquid logic hoss except mine is orange. It came with a nice skirt and paddle. I have a few paddles now but none are bent shaft. What are the pros and cons to a bent shaft paddle. I will be pool bound for several weeks yet. Creeks are not exactly flowing in these parts just yet. As a matter of fact we got snow today.
I see that I will need to condition my core a bit and work on high and low bracing and hip snaps. I also have a friend how is going to help me with the fitting and rigging. I will be taking my pack raft to the pool and attempt to roll it too but it's fairly wide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2013   #4

Arvada, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
sounds good so far. as far as paddles go, im more concerned with the hand orientation on the shaft than anything. my first paddle was perfectly round and one time on a run it got semi knocked outa my hands and when i went to roll, the paddle blades were at the wrong angle and after a couple failed attempts i had to swim. i like adventure technologies paddles the best. there bent shaft and where your hands go is flatned out, so the blades are always perfect when you need to roll.
Skillkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #5

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
The Hoss will be fine for learning in. An older school river runner, from the same generation as the Huck.... very similar to the Lil' Joe. Personally I do not like bent shaft paddles, or AT either really. Werner is my preference, but really any paddle will work for learning. Better if it's got a whitewater blade on it, but I've seen people learn with Ducky paddles, which are essentially raft paddle blades. Bent shaft paddles are supposedly ergonomically better for your wrists....but take some getting used to. Learning to orient your paddle blade correctly when rolling is a skill that must be practiced, but is necessary to have.

Welcome to kayaking and to the Mountain Buzz.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #6

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Straight shaft paddles are both lighter and cheaper and, in my opinion, more responsive. Lighter weight also means quicker. Word of advise. The first paddle I owned was a $15 piece of crap that I bought from an experienced river guy who knew. My first time on the river was a carnage nightmare and I lost my paddle. Don't go drop $200 or more on a nice paddle.
Old 03-24-2013   #7
Kayak & SUP Lessons

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
check us out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repairman View Post
. Just looking for what to expect and any tips for a beginner hardsheller.
We would love to help! surfthesanjuans.com
SSJ LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #8

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ LLC View Post
We would love to help! surfthesanjuans.com
Thanks for sharing your website, but in case you didn't notice the OP lives in Alaska.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #9

Noneya, Alaska
I mean can't imagine it is much different than the white water I do in my pack raft. I expect it to be faster and a lot more agile. The paddles I run with my pack raft are shreds and splats but they are 210cm which I'm guessing is far to long for this hardshell. The pack rafts have provided a lot of fun and excitement in the years past but they are slower and alot more stabile. I started with the pack rafts due to here in ak most rivers and creeks don't follow the road system. I am excited
Old 03-25-2013   #10

Noneya, Alaska
Well looks like I can add a few more weeks to winter. We just got hit with a snow storm. Well over a foot over night and its been white out all day expected thru tomorrow noon. It will give me more time in the pool to get that roll down and the different bracing techniques. When this storm stops we are going to have a pack raft down hill race!
Might bring the hoss see how she handles in the powder.