My first run through Cataract - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-15-2009   #1
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
My first run through Cataract

Just wanted to share my video from last weekend. That was my first run through Cat, made a couple of mistakes here and there, but made it through.

The flow was 7200 cfs, low water. I really enjoyed the canyon, great whitewater, technical for us newbies.

Alex

kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2009   #2

Salt Lake City, Utah
Alex, thank you for posting that. I really enjoyed it. That is next on my tick list. Done westy a few times, I think I'm ready for cataract at similar flows. Even with the oar deal (ordeal) get it? Looked like you have no problems. Great job.

Skyman
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009   #3
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Glad you liked it. It really helps to go with someone who knows the canyon and know the runs.

I didn't record the Big Drop 2, camera turned off right before the rapid, but that's pretty technical run as well, though a fun one!

Most of the other rapids are in order in my video.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2009   #4

conifer, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazak4x4 View Post
Glad you liked it. It really helps to go with someone who knows the canyon and know the runs.

I didn't record the Big Drop 2, camera turned off right before the rapid, but that's pretty technical run as well, though a fun one!

Most of the other rapids are in order in my video.
After the thread on oar leashes you still use them? I've never seen them until this video and appear to be possibly very dangerous.
mr. compassionate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009   #5
The Russian

SLC, Utah
I don't believe I saw that thread.

I didn't have them on correctly and it did got stuck. If you didn't have the tethers, what would you use not to lose an oar?
Old 10-15-2009   #6

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Very nice video of a good solid run through Cat. rapids, wish I was there. The tethered (oar leashes) oar has nothing to do with your boating skills, but is more of an equipment misunderstanding. A fellow river guide had his wooden spair oar come lose from the front cradle, with the back half of the cradle still attached to the oar. Going through a series of rapids in North Gate Canyon, the front of the spair oar hit a rock and splintered off with the back half still attached to the boat. it started jumping around, stabing his life jacket and cargo behind him. Composite oars probably would not be as lethal. Plus if you flip the tether would be something else to get tangled up in.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009   #7

Alex, thanks for the video. We did Cat on 10-02-10-04. I did swim in BD 3 but very short and I was back in my boat, a little to far right of the first slot. I showed my wife your video and she said nothing, just looked at me with "that look". Cat was a great trip! Another step for me "the beginning boater". Can't wait for the next adventure.
Be safe Dennis
dport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009   #8
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Dennis, you are welcome. I assume your wife isn't a boater? hehe

Raymo, so if you don't use tethers, what do you use not to lose your popped oar? Actually Cat was my first trip with oar locks, I always rowed pins/clips. So I will be interested in alternatives. Most of my friends have tethers on their oars.
Old 10-16-2009   #9

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I run tethers when I think there's a good chance of flipping, but the rest of the time my oarlocks are tight enough that I'll only lose an oar if I really bash a rock hard. And if that's a case, I want the oar to fly away rather than be swinging around into my head while I'm still in the boat. I'll take the odds when I'm in the water too... I figure if I'm still upright, I can slap on my spare and chase down a loose oar pretty quick.
I would wack on your oar locks a bit until you can only fit the oar in down at the blade, then leave the tethers on if you want and you shouldn't have any problems.
asleep.at.the.oars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009   #10

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2006
Nice video! Low water Cataract is a lot of fun. Its definitely a step up from Westwater, but very doable for any competent boater if you scout the Big Drops.

I like leashes a lot for big water. I had an oar pop out in Grapevine in the Grand Canyon, and i'm sure I would have never seen it again without the leash. As it was, I was able to grab it and have it on quicker than it would have taken to get a spare on. I'm not as enthusiastic about them in rocky low water runs.
atg200 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cataract