Must Paddle, need help! - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-12-2004   #1

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Must Paddle, need help!

I have to paddle this weekend but the selection is grim. I have narrowed it down to these selections.

Gore- will it hold for the weekend and is it worth the drive for 750cfs? I have never paddled it, is it good at that level? I would hate to go up there to get skunked.

Parkdale/ Gorge- is it worth coming from Durango at 350 cfs?

Cross Mountain Gorge- really far, is it good at 461?

Any advise on any of these runs would be greatly appreciated and anything I might have missed

Thanks

cosurfgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2004   #2
gh

pnw, Colorado
I would guess that Parkdale/Gorge has dropped below 300 and I still find the section fun but I wouldnt drive very far to do it. The gorge is getting a little cool and has a ton of flatwater at the end by this time of year for my tastes.
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004   #3

Durango, Colorado
The DWR guage on this site has it on 351 in Parkdale as of 10/12. Is that worth it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2004   #4
gh

pnw, Colorado
Thats such a subjective thing. I drive 1.5 hours to get there and its worth it to me. Its going to be class III with some sections being very shallow but there is fun to be had.
Old 10-12-2004   #5
gh

pnw, Colorado
Following the procedure outlined on the other post. I think the CFS is more like 264. I think your reading is old and not up-to-date. The wellsville gauge is showing 264 and that seems more logical.
Old 10-12-2004   #6

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
the reality of Parkdale... below about 600 the difference in experience is pretty incremental. 350 vs. 250?...its f-ing low. There are deep eddies and some little corners and stuff but really the play does not change much. If you are jonezed then have at it. The Gorge is probably more fun low but the paddle out pretty much keeps me away until spring. Or come up to Salida throw ends in the Boatramp hole and then run some gates and at least you get a workout.
Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004   #7

Durango, Colorado
Hell, for that I'll just keep running the Rockwood Box.

Will Gore hold out for the weekend?

Screw it, I'll just poach westy.
Old 10-12-2004   #8

Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
Gore is really fun and should be great if it stays at this level.

I wouldn't by any means call it a must, but for this time of year... not much really is around here.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote