Muddy Creek Utah - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-13-2008   #1

Muddy Creek Utah

Can anyone tell me if what the odds are that Muddy Creek will run this year and roughly when? Could you get a 10 or 12 foot raft down it or would kayaks and duckies be a better bet? Are there any places to camp in the inner part of the canyon? Any other beta would be appreciated. I want to take my wife and some other non-boater friends down.

Thanks,

Scot

lagoonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2008   #2
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
it will run this year.....snowpack in those parts is lookin good! been waiting all winter to hit it, im gonna try to shoot for mid may, i've got a hunch it will be good.....
Old 02-13-2008   #3
BKC

It's gonna go

The Utah crew might have more detail or be rallying some troops: http://www.eddyflower.com/Forum.aspx?ForumId=2
BKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2008   #4

I would not take a raft down the Chute. We had good flow, and a raft would be horrible. Duckies are probably best. Inner tubes good. Kayaks are fine...bring the creek boat for comfort.

If you were sure of the weather being safe (flash flood) and the water wasn't real high then you could camp in the chute. I remember one camp about 2/3 down that was big and sandy and flat. Would be sweet. Plenty of car camping near by.

Great trip. Perfect adventure for non-paddlers. Bring your own shuttle, and probably not a bike.
Old 02-13-2008   #5

I was trying to think about other obscure desert floats to do this spring. Has anyone ever run or heard of people running the Dirty Devil? Is it runnable? I know the water quality is terrible. But there's amazing hiking all around. Where would you put on? I know the takeout would be the same as for Cat. Any info out there?
ecjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008   #6

Icebox, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
The Dirty Devil

Eco,
I was looking at the dirty devil as well and i believe its doable. There are a couple pics of the devil at River Rafting Trip Campsites. And if you google it the is a bunch of guys that do it in conoes/kayaks. Let me know if you find anything else. I might be up for it....
Ian
grandyoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008   #7

Dirty Devil is runnable (not sure whether or not it's advisable in a raft). It's usually done by kayakers and duckiers. You should check out "River Runners' Guide to Utah" by Nichols for more obscure desert floats. It's a mediocre guidebook (especially when placed beside that of KM and ES) but has a lot of good beta on random UT runs. I believe the "Paddling Arizona" book also has a number of more obscure desert floats in it. Obviously, WSR will give you a decent starting point for both regions, though.

COUNT
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008   #8

I'd ducky... kayak if it isn't too bad. I have a terrible shoulder and can't roll without dislocating it.

It looks like the only reasonable put in is at Hanksville. My Kelsey hiking guide says 56 miles from the bottom of Robber's Roost canyon to Hite. and Hanksville is maybe 15 or 20 miles above that. so 70 miles give or take.

Very interesting. I love the hiking and canyoneering down there and would love to boat it also. But I also want to run the Escalante... so much to do and not enough time off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNT View Post
Dirty Devil is runnable (not sure whether or not it's advisable in a raft). It's usually done by kayakers and duckiers. You should check out "River Runners' Guide to Utah" by Nichols for more obscure desert floats. It's a mediocre guidebook (especially when placed beside that of KM and ES) but has a lot of good beta on random UT runs. I believe the "Paddling Arizona" book also has a number of more obscure desert floats in it. Obviously, WSR will give you a decent starting point for both regions, though.

COUNT
ecjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008   #9

scottsdale, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1979
Dirty Devil

Friend of mine did it years ago in a canoe and said it was great. Usual dried mud canyon when you get to the lake. He put in at Hanksville.
RRHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008   #10
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
Dirty Devil from Hanksville to Powell gets run a fair amount, I wouldnt say "regularly" but it does see its share of traffic.

its class II all the way, the toughest part is getting good flows.

in the bios section of WSR there is a pic of one Utah boater, Im sorry I dont remember which one, his picture is a self shot he took on a solo mission down that a couple years ago when it flooded at 15,000 or something.

Im duckie'n down Muddy and Im bringing my pops too, who doesnt boat much, so it should be a good time