Muddy Creek beyond the Chute - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-08-2012   #1

BV, CO
Paddling Since: 96
Muddy Creek beyond the Chute

Springtime fantasies...

Has anyone paddled sections of the Muddy (Utah) other than the Chute section? My Trails Illustrated map shows 2 sections above the Chute, starting just south of I-70, 30 miles with the first section having some class "3". And 2 sections below the Chute of 5 miles and 22 miles. If you add in the 15 miles of the Chute section, there's 72 miles to be run. I'm thinking the top putin to the Chute takeout. Below the Chute it looks like it leaves the Swell and braids across flatland.

I wouldn't expect to camp in the Chute but are there nice camping sites in the sections above the Chute?

Is the class "3" runnable with an overloaded duck?

If you have run any of it above the Chute, what roads did you use for your shuttle?

Thanks

Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2012   #2

Salt Lake City, Utah
I ran the whole section that you are talking about 2 springs ago. The whole thing is awesome, its a bit of a stretch to call it class three... maybe in high water. If you want to do the whole thing just make sure that the water level is pretty high, we had to drag our boats for big sections going into Hanksville.

We actually put in just north of I-70, by maybe a quarter mile - though we hopped some fences to do that. Took out on a dirt road just before Muddy creek met the Dirty Devil.
Websta' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012   #3

BV, CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Websta' View Post
I ran the whole section that you are talking about 2 springs ago. The whole thing is awesome, its a bit of a stretch to call it class three... maybe in high water. If you want to do the whole thing just make sure that the water level is pretty high, we had to drag our boats for big sections going into Hanksville.

We actually put in just north of I-70, by maybe a quarter mile - though we hopped some fences to do that. Took out on a dirt road just before Muddy creek met the Dirty Devil.

Thanks. Good campsites? Do you remember the level?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2012   #4

The best put-in is actually to take the dirt road just East of were Muddy crosses 70 and drive down to cut off the first 3-5 miles south of 70, it is kindof channelised up there and better to cut it off. Under 250, it can take 2 days to go from 70 to Hondu Arch and another day through the cute for 3 days total. If its 300 or above you can do the upper in 1 day and the chute in 1 day. There is epic camping the whole way above the chute. I have never floated past Hidden Splender into Hanksville but I've driven it and its pretty cool right after the chute but becomes quite braided. If you want to float down there, you may want to drive from the chute take-out and put back in on the Dirty Devil by Hanksville and float into Hite.
craporadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #5

BV, CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by craporadon View Post
The best put-in is actually to take the dirt road just East of were Muddy crosses 70 and drive down to cut off the first 3-5 miles south of 70, it is kindof channelised up there and better to cut it off. Under 250, it can take 2 days to go from 70 to Hondu Arch and another day through the cute for 3 days total. If its 300 or above you can do the upper in 1 day and the chute in 1 day. There is epic camping the whole way above the chute. I have never floated past Hidden Splender into Hanksville but I've driven it and its pretty cool right after the chute but becomes quite braided. If you want to float down there, you may want to drive from the chute take-out and put back in on the Dirty Devil by Hanksville and float into Hite.
Thanks C'don. Did you guys shuttle through the Swell or drive 70 to 24 and back in?
Old 01-09-2012   #6

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Phil,

Check out the Utah book. They have beta on some section[s] even above where Websta' and Craporadon are talking about, above I -70 and above the road to Ferron/Cottonwood/Huntingdon creeks.I recall something about it being really bony and having to break through massive spider webs,then when they were about fed up with it the boating got a little better and the scenery spectacular. Also ,some section they skip,lame boating and fences i think. You should have no trouble with any rapids ,other than having to drag if it is low.Duckies are the easiest boat to get in and out of .I think III is high for anything on Muddy but maybe right due to remoteness/committedness.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #7

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by cayo 2 View Post
Phil,
Check out the Utah book.
I have this if you would like to borrow it.
lmyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012   #8

BV, CO
Thanks guys. Logan, I'd like to borrow the book but as a guide book junkie I'd also like to get a copy. Is it still in print? Title?
Old 01-10-2012   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil U. View Post
Thanks C'don. Did you guys shuttle through the Swell or drive 70 to 24 and back in?
It's not a bad shuttle, on 70 slightly East, there is a ranch exit that you take South. It parralel's 70 for a couple miles west then heads direct South. Then it's an hour or so of classic Hunter S Thompsonesque desert driving through the southern swell. Sort of mysterious roads in there but if your in the right mind state and just believe in yourself, you'll end up where you need to be.

It may not run this year, but we'll see. I once took my mom down at 100 cfs and it was slow going but not too much dragging. She's 65 and does'nt know how to swim. We dumped once at a hard corner but she was fine, I think she thought she was drowning until she just stood up and it was only waist deep. She even drank a Mojito out of her Bootie like a champ.

SUP with no fins is definitely the preferred craft. In a duckee you just get a bad case of the BIBS.
craporadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012   #10

BV, CO
BIBS?