Moving to the Front Range, what to boat? - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-30-2015   #1

N/A, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Moving to the Front Range, what to boat?

Hey folks,

My wife and I are moving from Minnesota to the Front Range area on the first of June (anywhere from Denver to Fort Collins, still looking for a place) and I'll be looking for some folks to boat with and some runs to get into the scene out there, so I figured I should start doing the leg work now.

This is my 10th year of boating, and I have been running IV-V for 7 of those years. Seasons in MN are short and pretty much "off the couch" so I'm used to just firing it up, but I'd like to ease in to CO a little bit this year(partly because we have 0 snow and our season is going to blow)

I have paddled in CO before (Lower Clear in Golden, Numbers, Pine Creek, Royal Gorge, OBJ, Upper East, and KLSP in Breck)

I have a few runs that I would really like to do this season, but I'd like to get a few weeks in running some straight IV before I start turning it up. So any suggestions on what will be good to go at that time and any way to work my way into the scene there would be great.

I'm very safety conscious and have all the appropriate safety gear and know how to use it. I am hoping to get my SWR before I get out there(I have most of the skills, just no actual cert yet, the local one here is not ACA recognized), but that might not be the case due to our lack of snow/rain, and once we get out there I am hoping to get my WFR this summer.

Sorry this got a bit bit rambly but I'm killing time at work! Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Colgador con Rojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2015   #2

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Get this book:

Whitewater of the Southern Rockies

With your resume you should be able to run everything IV in the state. Good class IV runs into V are Bailey and Gore Canyon. Definitely hit up the Poudre, Clear Creek, Arkansas, and I-70 Valley are good options. Hopefully we have some water here this year too. I think we may peak early, but normally you are arriving during the optimal part of the season.
kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
You'll have no trouble finding peeps to boat with.
Lots of good people on the Front Range Kayakers Facebook group, for starters. Really active community.
In June, Clear Creek will be ripping along pretty good - as you've done Lower, you'll really like Upper and Dumont as well if you're trying to be straight class 4 at first. Dumont is so, so damn good.
I imagine Bailey will be running, and as a Front Ranger, you're going to love it. Absolutely classic run with great class 4 and walkable 5s. If you're closer to Fort C rather than Denver, you'll hit the Poudre a lot. It will be running good in June. Everything from Class 2 to Class 5 on the Poudre.
Feel free to hit me up when you get here, but seriously you won't need more than a few days, any given day in June, to round up plenty of good people to paddle with.
Cheers!
-Mike G
Id725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2015   #4

N/A, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakfreakus View Post
Thanks for the info! I have 2 copies of the book, haha. One for the bathroom and one for the coffee table.
Old 03-30-2015   #5

N/A, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Id725 View Post
You'll have no trouble finding peeps to boat with.
Lots of good people on the Front Range Kayakers Facebook group, for starters. Really active community.
In June, Clear Creek will be ripping along pretty good - as you've done Lower, you'll really like Upper and Dumont as well if you're trying to be straight class 4 at first. Dumont is so, so damn good.
I imagine Bailey will be running, and as a Front Ranger, you're going to love it. Absolutely classic run with great class 4 and walkable 5s. If you're closer to Fort C rather than Denver, you'll hit the Poudre a lot. It will be running good in June. Everything from Class 2 to Class 5 on the Poudre.
Feel free to hit me up when you get here, but seriously you won't need more than a few days, any given day in June, to round up plenty of good people to paddle with.
Cheers!
-Mike G
Very cool, thanks for the info Mike, I'll definitely hit up the FB group and I'll hit you up once we're there!
Old 03-30-2015   #6
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakfreakus View Post
I-70 Valley
Thankfully you aren't in charge of naming conventions.
Old 03-30-2015   #7

Lakewood, Colorado
Based on what you said you have boated I think the steven's down section of the poudre in early june would be a good relatively low stress run for you.
bdf48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015   #8

OTR, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
LBC! Lower Boulder Creek! Usually runs in early June or so. Short season, but one of my favorite IV creeks.
SKeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015   #9
addict

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Clear creek, eldo, poudre narrows, boulder creek all provide great after work options.

I paddled in MN once, and feel like I met most of the crew there. Did we paddle?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
tango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015   #10

N/A, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by tango View Post
Clear creek, eldo, poudre narrows, boulder creek all provide great after work options.

I paddled in MN once, and feel like I met most of the crew there. Did we paddle?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Pretty sure we did. I've paddled with Baer a fair bit here, and I know you were up with him for some of that.

Those are all runs I'm interested in! I can't wait to get out there.

Thanks for all the suggestions from everyone!