Moving to Japan... - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-01-2005   #1

Moving to Japan...

So I’m moving to Japan next July. I'm wondering if anyone has kayaked there. I found a few rafting companies over there, so I guess there is some whitewater to be had. If anyone has any info I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

kingtutbigbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2005   #2

In one of Kayak magazine's inaugural issues (at least under paddler management) they did an article about japan with pat kellar and some other kids. Check their archives and you could probably find it. There is definetly boating to be had, just not sure where.

Zach.
Old 12-02-2005   #3

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Stephen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2005   #4

Try contacting Tom O'Keef. His wife is from Japan and he spent some time over there paddling. He also did some work on a guide, here's the link:

http://www.riversandcreeks.com/japan/

Tom is up in Seattle now. You can find his contact info in the current staff section of the American Whitewater site.

Ken
kglaeser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005   #5

yo...welcome to my side of the ocean...

So I am living and working in Yokohama, Japan. I kayak every weekend and climb on the weekdays. Where are you moving to? I could probably hook you up with some people and give you the fyi on rivers.

Cheers
Maya_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005   #6

I'm moving to Yokota Air Base, 28 miles west of Tokyo. My Fiancé is in the Air Force and that is her first assignment. I'm looking forward to the change, it should be fun.
Old 12-07-2005   #7
JKB

Konnichiwa Kingtutbigbutt and Maya,

My name is Joe Bevins. I am studying in Okinawa, Japan right now. I would love to hit up some rivers. Any info you guys have would be great. I have a huge break in Feb. through March and want to travel to the main land to boat.

Thanks, JK
JKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005   #8

hit me up

こんにちは、

日本語は御大変上手ですね。

I go boating every weekend and eveyr holiday so just give me an e-mail on my keitai (cell) [email protected] or if you have AU you can cmail me 080 (6562) 2833. Im making a small trip to CO during January and another to Thailand in March (go visit a kayak buddy). Either way your welcome to come boating with me at any time. Afterward, a little Tokyo action and end the night with climbing??

Maya
Old 12-07-2005   #9
JKB

こんいちはまやさん 、

日本語はじょずじゃありません. Thanks for the number, I have AU as well. What is the boating like in winter in the main land? I have Christmas break in a couple of weeks and I think I might try to head to the mainland for part of it.
Also, I left all my boating stuff in G-wood. Are there places to rent stuff?

じゃあね、
ジョー
JKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005   #10

The boating is cold as hell. Last weekend it was 33 degrees out and a water tempeture of 48. I know it doesn’t compare to Colorado, but at least it snows there. Here it stays wet and cold and although you would swear that it was the right temperature to flurry all that happens is the clouds sprinkle a little rain and leave you miserable.

Saying that, at least we can boat year round in Mitake (you can`t in Minakami –Gunma Prefecture). The one plus of a dam fed Japan.

You can rent gear and I could probably find you a boat (this might be hard if your really tall though).