Moving to Boulder - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-11-2008   #1

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Moving to Boulder

Hi All,

I'm moving to Boulder, CO in a couple weeks and want to see where I can go boating. I'm a solid Class IV boater and will probably need to be local for a while while I get dialed in to my job. Any thoughts on what are fun runs and any other suggestions would help.

Thanks,
Dan

Belin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2008   #2

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Closest option for Boulder then will most likely be Foxton/Waterton or Bailey minus the big three. If we get a big rainstorm something closer might go.....
kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008   #3

Longmont, Colorado
Thanks for the response. You'll have to excuse my ignorance, but what are the big three? St. Vrain, Poudre, and Boulder Creek? Just assume I don't know anything (not difficult). I'm wondering what my options would be for some play or quick runs after work.

Thanks,
Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2008   #4

Indian Hills, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belin View Post
Thanks for the response. You'll have to excuse my ignorance, but what are the big three? St. Vrain, Poudre, and Boulder Creek? Just assume I don't know anything (not difficult). I'm wondering what my options would be for some play or quick runs after work.

Thanks,
Dan
The big 3 refer to Four Falls, Super Max and Deer Creek, all IV++/V-/V rapids on the Bailey stretch of the North Fork of the South Platte. All of the river stretches mentioned by kayakfreakus are on the South Platte River. Baily and Foxton are on the North Fork of the South Platte, which benefits from trans-basin diversions and often has a long season. Waterton Canyon is below the North Fork and South Platte proper confluecne (but above Strontia Springs) and typcially has boatable flows late in the year.

Pickup a copy of Colorado Rivers and Creeks II and/or Whitewater of the Southern Rockies for good river descriptions.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008   #5
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
He's referring to the 3 class V drops on Bailey. The season is pretty much over except for dam controlled runs. Your after work surf session options are probably Golden, Lyons, or Boulder creek (quality roughly in that order). Some sickos will still go run Black Rock on Clear Creek at 200, but it's serious bone zone. You can get to Waterton canyon, but it's short and is over an hour drive from Boulder. Same drive time with Foxton, but that's pretty low right now.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008   #6

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Also check out flows for the Big Thompson - if we get lucky, it runs in the fall......
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008   #7

Longmont, Colorado
Thanks guys that all helps a lot. I'm not looking for any Class V yet - just some surf sessions and some Class III-IV action on day trips. I'm psyched to get out there though - I've been trapped in Baltimore for 5 years!

Dan
Old 08-12-2008   #8
Likes it wet.

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belin View Post
Thanks guys that all helps a lot. I'm not looking for any Class V yet - just some surf sessions and some Class III-IV action on day trips. I'm psyched to get out there though - I've been trapped in Baltimore for 5 years!

Dan
What's up man... if you ever want to make it up to Fort Collins... I'll take you down Middle Narrows on the Poudre... and Lower when the water drops a bit... it'll be good class IV for ya.

I'm from Silver Spring... good to see some Marylanders making the migration
LiquidGuy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008   #9

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
Hey I'm at CU and will probably be heading up to the poudre quite a bit until it dies out, pm me if you wanna paddle.
Ricky NM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008   #10

Geologist, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Could always make the trip out to Shoshone on the Colorado if you get desperate. I surf the Golden play park down to 130 cfs or so, but I work in Golden. South Boulder creek runs at odd times during the year so keep an eye on that gauge. If it rains hard, get out on Boulder Creek. The October hole is good near Lyons. Really your best bet is Foxton and Waterton.
jonny water is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boulder