Moving to Bend - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-14-2012   #1

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1993
Moving to Bend

Howdy Buzzards,

I've looked at past posts regarding Bend and this is not a 'help me decide whether to move there' post. My family and I already decided to move out there and while we did so because of the job, we are excited about exploring a new area.

We will be moving from CO to Bend in September and we are just trying to figure out if there is much in the way of a paddling community. My wife and I both paddle and raft and so it would be great to touch base with some like-minded folks. She has more of a park-n-play mindset and I am more of wilderness run class IV/V oriented person though we both enjoy any aspect of paddling. We'd also like to get our young daughter out in the raft for some mild floats. In all cases we are more about having fun with good people than being uber competitive or anything along those lines. We have some good friends in the Hood River area but just looking for some paddling partners/families in the Bend area. Holler if that's you or you know someone.
Thanks!

MikeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2012   #2

Medford, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1984
You have some good paddling choices in Bend especially for kayaks, there is the Metolius which 3,4, Cooked River is very close has a limited season it is 3-5 Deschutes of course is your daily run or multi-day trip but it gets a tad crowded 3. John Day is really nice multi-day trip and great for kids because it is very easy 1- 2 with 1 class 3 and great bass fishing. Owyhee is always a great multi-day trip, lower run is good for kids and raft spectacular scenery no permits class 3 but it runs when it runs and not every year, upper run has serious water 4 and a couple 5s. Get the Soggy sneakers guide for Oregon Amazon.com: Soggy Sneakers: A Paddler's Guide to Oregon Rivers (9780898868159): Willamette Kayak and Canoe Club, Pete Giordano: Books They update it all the time, I am in Medford so Rogue is my river but you will connect with paddlers in Bend, there are many opportunites. Welcome to Oregon the beer is great and skiing is awesome in Bend. Illinois here in SW Oregon has some serious whitewater 4 some 5 and wilderness multi-day trip. Lots of water this year.
rivers2run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012   #3

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1975
Welcome to town!

The best place to start is Tumalo Creek Kayak and Canoe. Tumalo Creek Kayak & Canoe in Bend, Oregon is located on the Deschutes River - Bend's and Central Oregon's Only Kayak and Canoe Shop
They're great people and will point you in the right direction for whatever type of paddling you want.

Bend Parks and Rec is trying to organize a Whitewater park with a local non-profit. Colorado Avenue Dam Improvements Bend Paddle Trail Alliance - if you move here early enough, you may get to vote on the bond measure in November.

It's a great place to live and raise a family. If you already have a job, the hardest part is behind you. Feel free to PM me if you are looking for some specific info.
Aerocam is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2012   #4

Bend, Oregon
Thanks to both and we will definitely be registering to vote this fall. Just one more good reason to do so. I'll PM you Aerocam as we move closer to move. Is there reasonable paddling in the winter or is that all over on the other side of the mountains?

Old 07-14-2012   #5

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG
Thanks to both and we will definitely be registering to vote this fall. Just one more good reason to do so. I'll PM you Aerocam as we move closer to move. Is there reasonable paddling in the winter or is that all over on the other side of the mountains?
uhhmm, think ice skating and ice hockey. And skiing. And Texas hold em. And did I mention shopping--for warm clothes?
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012   #6

Denver, Colorado
Watch Portlandia and don't move there. beautiful area full of... well you know. Unless you have good river skinny jeans and suspenders.
JC5921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012   #7

yes there is winter paddling

the deschutes has a 3-4 run in town that usually runs all winter long. The summer run, meadow camp (IV) turns off mid sept. You will be able to catch it depending on when you get here. the lower riverhouse turns on usually end of oct-mid nov last couple of years. Then yes there is a whole winter/rainy season over the pass. closest is 1.5 hours away. 3 hrs you are in hood river with limitless runs in between. check out oregonkayaking.net there is also an active family paddling comm. pm me when you get to town.

peace mike
mikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012   #8

Bend, Oregon
Thanks again to everyone. Looking forward to it. I did see a couple episodes of Portlandia- too funny but hit close to home in Boulder too. Glad to hear there is some year-round paddling even if its a little chilly, when you need it, you need it!

Old 07-17-2012   #9

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Thanks again to everyone. Looking forward to it. I did see a couple episodes of Portlandia- too funny but hit close to home in Boulder too. Glad to hear there is some year-round paddling even if its a little chilly, when you need it, you need it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Lay off Portland or we'll cut off your weed supply! I kid...I kid.

Don't discount the Portland Area. Bend is a 3+ hour drive, but there are a lot LOT of winter paddling opportunities in the PDX area. Not to mention a large welcoming community. Even if 70% of them are Gauley and New guides here for the Ski season. Check out PDXkayaker.org- Paddler's Pint show up to one of these and just introduce yourself, you will often have a run for the next day.

Upper Clackamas generally runs all year, but is big in the winter (Class IV Run). Lower Clackmas would be great float for your daughter. Class II-II+.

Sandy Gorge is excellent Class IV most of the year. Lower Parts of the Sandy are Class II+ (III).

The Hood River (W Fork) has a limited season, but is a solid Class IV+-V in winter. This is a BEAUTIFUL gorge. One of the most picturesque spots I have rafted. Your buddies in Hood River probably know this run. The East fork is much more forgiving but still beautiful.

The list goes on.
Old 07-17-2012   #10

olympic valley, California
Paddling Since: 1997
Bend is a great choice, I am planning on tying up some loose ends in Tahoe over the winter and moving up there in the spring, geoff from Tumalo is rad, just got off the middle/ main with a great crew from bend, seems super family oriented and an all around great place, enjoy u adventure!
river dan is offline   Reply With Quote