moving from boise to missoula need beta??? - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-09-2008   #1

moving from boise to missoula need beta???

I am moving from boise to missoula montana for a job, is this a big mistake?? I know the water here in boise is better than there, but surely the skiing has to be better than bogus basin. What is there to paddle in missoula other than the alberton, lochsa, and brennans wave??? The town seems more chill than boise. Any info would help..

kayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2008   #2

you're stoked, Missoula has great paddling pretty much year round. Mainly just playboating until the spring when Big Sands and others come up. Skiing at Snowbowl is better and closer than bogus but not that much. Bozeman has better spring-time creeking and way better skiing at Big Sky and Bridger. Missoula has some of the best year-round playboating in the country though with the Kootenai, Lochsa and Clark Fork.
craporadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008   #3

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I'd say your quality of life just went up, but I am clearly biased! Lots of yakkers, lots of fun water, and great skiing, if we ever get snow this winter. My little Missoula secret is that it seems to me that even though we have a lot of people in town, and there's a lot of talk about recreating, once you get out of town it isn't all that crowded. I don't really like to use the word "poser", but that might convey the gist of what I'm sayin in one word. Lots of talk. Very nice community to live in, lots going on. Well, the Bowl is completely overrun, but still a down home friendly place.
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2008   #4
-k-

Denver via GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Although there may be some "posers" out there, its hard to say. When you figure Montana is the fourth largest state in the country and has a population under 1 million, there is alot of elbow room.
Old 12-11-2008   #5

Im feeling better about the move, but will miss the paddling here in the boise town. But this place is a rat race, I need the smaller town. Checking out the paddling there appears to be a few close rivers, and am getting excited for the backcountry skiing if it ever snows.. Will be moving there in may. How are rent prices? Anyways thanks for the few posts, looking to meet some missoula paddlers this summer..
kayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008   #6

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Poser--I guess I use that word to compare between the population center, and crowded-ness of recreation. In Utah, Boise, even Bozeman, the recreational areas are more crowded in comparison to the population than I see in Missoula. Maybe it is because Missoulians are more laid back, and couple of fun things once in a while are OK and there's not the manic rage to get out (ski, hike, bike, boat, etc, etc, etc) every waking moment.

I tried to convey that I wasn't judging Missoulians as posers, but I couldn't come up with another good, short description that it's a good fun place, and not too crowded when you go play. Of course, there are some exceptions, Snowbowl on powder days and the gorge for two.

I have no idea on rent since I've owned my house for 15 years. I'm a rafter, so I don't know about play places and creeking. But the Blackfoot is fun/mellow, the gorge is more fun, and the Lochsa ROCKS (2hr drive)! You can also head up to the MF of the Flathead (3-4 hr drive), but I've never done that.

How to hook up with people - hang out at Brennan's wave downtown. Edge of the world is the younger/rad kayak shop. Trailhead and Pipestone are general boating, more canoe and raft. I think it is common for kayakers just to hook up with folks at the gorge put-in, people are very friendly.

Lots of good backcountry skiing, but people hold that information a bit tighter to their chests. You can hike out of snowbowl for some easy access great backcountry, but of course it gets more traffic than true backcountry, but the terrain is great.
Old 12-11-2008   #7

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
KAYDEN what up im making the move to montana(bozeman) as well in may my plans as of now are to save a couple thousand and throw down a down payment for a trailer house pay her off in a couple years than you don't have to worry about rent after that. good luck.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008   #8

Bozeman, MT
Paddling Since: 2000
You'll be stoked on headin out to montucky! Some pluses about Missoula are: Alberton Gorge is quality any time of the year, much better than the gallatin near bozeman. The Bitterroots are the place for decent creeking close to Missoula. Kootani creek is a fun creek to lap a super short section. Bear Creek can get you stoked, but it's usualy got some wood issues. The other's in the range are worth exploring just for the adventure, but they usually have wood, and aren't classic. I'd be mostly stoked on the Lochsa scene. It flows early, and late april weekends usually involve keg's! The play park down down is a plus, if your into that sourt of thing. You're also pretty central to alot of other paddling regions for weekend trips. You could always come down to bozeman for one the best creek in the state: Big T!

Oddly, I'm thinking about headin' out to the Payette's to push some rubber this summer. What's the good word on that scene? Thinkin about livin' in Banks?, Garden Valley?, anywhere else? Obviously the S. Fork for play and raft guiding, and the N. Fork to burn one after work, but what else is goin' on in that region?
progers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008   #9

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1998
word yeah rogers said it, yeah the bitterroot valley has got a bunch of lil drainages.
YO Pat pushing rubber this summer???...are you going to chile with the rest of your crew soon ?? if soo have a great time down there. The section above the NF gets rafted a bunch , theeres good play in spring Climax/Bladder/Gutter on the payettes Rodeo and Golds hole on the Salmon, the main, the lower main soo many stretches. you should go see if u couldnt find a place to live in McCall town is GORGEOUS. Shout at the KIDAHO bros they know where the goods are
Old 12-11-2008   #10

Bozeman, MT
Paddling Since: 2000
Yo Zac, McCall sounds sweet, but i kinda want to live in a shack at some raft company! Oh, ya Chile in T-minus 15 days! Pretty damn stoked! Have you spent some time in that part of idaho? Any creekin' near the Payettes?
progers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boise