Moved to OR and looking for commmunity colleges with a good paddle scene? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 03-07-2012   #1

Detroit, Oregon
Moved to OR and looking for commmunity colleges with a good paddle scene?

I just recently moved to Oregon and I'm actually looking to go to school eventually at OSU but before I do I have to finish my basics. I'm looking at community colleges cuz its so much cheaper. I guess I'm just wondering from anyone who has adventured out this way or actually lives here what are the best cities for paddling that have a junior college? It seems most of the colleges offer the AAOT which will transfer over. Anyone have any suggestions or thoughts of some good spots other then Portland which is obvious that has a cc as well as a pretty good paddling scene? I'm looking at Bend, OR a little but can't find any info does anyone know if this city is alright or have any other suggestions?

Thanks

boxcarC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2012   #2

SO, TX
Bend is great. There is also Lane Community College (LCC). It is very close to the U of O. The university runs a lot of trips through the OP and there is a fantastic formal Outoor Pursuits Program there. I'll never forget taking their vans to Moab and sleeping under Hale-Bop's meteor showers... anywho - they have a lot of gear and recources which brings people together and makes things happen.
Wharf_Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012   #3

ashland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
My impression/experience of boating in the Bend area is that there some good runs but not a lot of variety. For variety you'll be spending some time behind the wheel headed over the Cascades to the wetter west side.
In the Bend area, the Deschutes river is the boating staple but is all but drained for irrigation below the Meadow Camp run from Apr to mid-October dewatering two of the class 4 runs (Riverhouse & Canyon runs {i'm a big fan of both of these runs}) but leaves the short class 3 Big Eddy & the class 4(5) Meadow Camp running as they are above the most of the irrigation diversion. In big snowpack years the Crooked has what friends have told me is a epic big water class 4(5) run and the Metoilius outside of Sisters has a fun class 3 run with a looong dusty shuttle and wood hazards and if 5/5+ is your game friends of mine say it can be had on Tumolo Ck.
I don't ski but it's pretty well understood that Bend has great skiing.
Lots of paddling in my neck of the woods; the Rogue Valley, pretty active community of boaters and there are two colleges; Rouge Valley Comm. College and Southern Oregon University.
pretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2012   #4

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretender
My impression/experience of boating in the Bend area is that there some good runs but not a lot of variety. For variety you'll be spending some time behind the wheel headed over the Cascades to the wetter west side.
In the Bend area, the Deschutes river is the boating staple but is all but drained for irrigation below the Meadow Camp run from Apr to mid-October dewatering two of the class 4 runs (Riverhouse & Canyon runs {i'm a big fan of both of these runs}) but leaves the short class 3 Big Eddy & the class 4(5) Meadow Camp running as they are above the most of the irrigation diversion. In big snowpack years the Crooked has what friends have told me is a epic big water class 4(5) run and the Metoilius outside of Sisters has a fun class 3 run with a looong dusty shuttle and wood hazards and if 5/5+ is your game friends of mine say it can be had on Tumolo Ck.
I don't ski but it's pretty well understood that Bend has great skiing.
Lots of paddling in my neck of the woods; the Rogue Valley, pretty active community of boaters and there are two colleges; Rouge Valley Comm. College and Southern Oregon University.
You are most likely trying to find a school on the West coast, but Richmond Virginia has a great whitewater community. You can boat every day on the James and West Virginia is just a short drive away.
BoofStroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012   #5

Detroit, Oregon
Thanks, I've heard Ashland is a pretty sweet town what kind of paddling does the bend and rogue area offer are they more river running or creeking or all sorts of variety? I'm about a III-IV paddler but wanting to step it up by getting on the water as much as possible.

Thanks for the input man I do hear Virginia has some sweet spots but considering I just moved to Oregon just a few months ago from NC I should prob stick it out here haha. I do appreciate the advice tho.
Old 03-08-2012   #6

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Anywhere in the Willamette Valley is a good boating scene. Lane CC in Eugene is a really strong CC - my wife is still wishing she had as good a course book to choose from. Natural play spots in town as well as up on the McKenzie which has lots of raftable runs. Great kayaking on the Willamette and Lake Creek near town. Fairly short drive to much more.
If you're looking for boating, I wouldn't go for Bend. If you want a dry climate for skiing and mountain biking, then Bend is great.
If you think you're going to end up at OSU, I think Lynn-Benton CC is pretty good as well and you could start getting into the Corvailis boating scene.
asleep.at.the.oars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012   #7

forks, washington
Get ahold of a guidebook called soggy sneakers. It gives you all of the good runs in the state. I would either look at eugene or Hood river as places to live. Both places offer a better variety for boating than either ashland or bend.
fishhawk1400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012   #8

Albany, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2006
The Willamette Valley is a good choice whether it be Eugene or Corvallis. There are a ton of great runs within an hour and a half radius of Albany/Corvallis. Breightenbush river (sp?), Quartzville Creek, Little NF Santiam, Upper North or South Santiam, Upper Siletz, Lake Creek, Drift Creek, and many more I'm sure I'm missing. All Class III to IV with the occassional V depending on levels.
DRL River Gypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012   #9

Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
I don't know what courses it offers, but the CC in Hood River would be my first choice for paddling while pretending to go to college. Lane in Eugene and Mt. Hood in Gresham would also be super solid. You'll find very large boater communities in Portland and Hood River, and solid crews in Corvallis, Salem and Eugene. I don't know about the Ashland area kayakers (I just haven't paddled there), but I know the rafting scene is huge down there.

What are you studying? Both OSU and UO offer good Outdoor Program opportunities depending on whether you are more of an engineer or more of a writer. Both have business schools; OSU to catch the engineer fallout and UO for the liberal arts kids that wised up.

U of O's OP was my entry to whitewater. Now I can't park in my garage between the raft, skis and kayaks. Fortunately, their Business School set me up for a string of good jobs and I can afford to be a gear whore.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012   #10

Detroit, Oregon
Well I'm looking at going into engineering so its either osu or Portland state that offer the environmental side of those degrees. I hear Portland and the hood are where its the best but have been told its quite difficult to find work and if you do the prices being so much higher its difficult to support yourself? But I don't know like I said I just moved here and that's all hear say. I've also been told psu in pdx and sou in Ashland are in the top paddling colleges list so I'm assuming there is a good paddling scene in both communities but that's what this post is for to get as much insight as possible so I appreciate all the feedback.
Thanks