Mountain Unicycling in Moab, Utah (OFF topic) - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 04-09-2004   #1

C.O.
Mountain Unicycling in Moab, Utah (OFF topic)

I know this is off topic but I thought I show you why I have that unicycle avatar. Here is a link to the pics page for Moab MUniFest 2004, March 26-28. I'm the guy on far right in the blue shirt.

Check out some of the photo links, I especially recommend John Foss's album.

click here: ---> Moab MUniFest 2004

For anyone familier with Moab, the wallpaper is the Amassa Back trailhead parking lot. We rode to the top of the trail and down the back single-track to the river. The day before we road the Slickrock trail. Before that we had competitions on the Fins-N-THings trail. We had 130 unicycle riders at this years fest. 55+ rode Amassa back the last day. Everyone was on Slickrock the day before.

If this year's water is as bad as it's shaping up to be, I'll be on my wheel more than in my boat this summer. I'm planning to NOT buy a playboat this year, actually.

"So in two seconds, away we went, a sliding down the river, and it did seem so good to be free again and all by ourselves on the big river and nobody to bother us." -Mark Twain (The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn)
Ed Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2004   #2

Duhrango
I've seen some unis in Moab before and am impressed with what they/you can do. I don't believe I will try it... I tend to fall down enough on the bike.
Old 04-10-2004   #3

half the wheels, twice the man.........sounds like something a canoer says to a kayaker

I think your attitude about this summer is right on......I will also be doing much more biking than paddling this summer. We're still in our multi-year drought here too and once again our spring rains have NOT happened. Went to bed last night with storms happening but then if fizzled. Argh!!!!!!!!!!!

Good to see you having some fun in Moab.

tomcat
tomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2004   #4

Flight School Manager
I moved to Moab 6 weeks ago. I used to live in East Tennessee where I paddled almost every week. Moving to the desert as a boater sucks. There's some cool stuff to do here but I want to paddle.

Still Looking for water.
slimerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004   #5

Snowmass, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Looks pretty nutty! How much time to you spend with your feet on the ground riding Slickrock? How 'bout the downhills?
Old 04-11-2004   #6

C.O.
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthNRG
Looks pretty nutty! How much time to you spend with your feet on the ground riding Slickrock? How 'bout the downhills?
Very little time is spent on my feet. All the down hills are very rideable. A lot of the stuff off the sides of the main trail offer good challenges. A few of the steepest up hills I walk, but I'm not the strongest rider. Now I do stop for more rests when on one wheel than when I'm on my mountain bike. Unicycles are fixed gear, no coasting; We work just as hard going down hill as we do going up hill.

Here is a shot I snapped of my Friend Kris from last year to show you what is possible. He uses a brake for these kind of super-steeps. I don't have a brake so I didn't do this hill; I went around the side on the main trail instead.

"So in two seconds, away we went, a sliding down the river, and it did seem so good to be free again and all by ourselves on the big river and nobody to bother us." -Mark Twain (The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn)
Ed Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote