Motors - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-02-2012   #1
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Motors

Trying to do some research before buying one:

1. Which shaft? The tubes on the boat are 22", so would a shaft of 20" work or do I need to go with a 25" ultra long shaft?
2. How to store a 4 stroke motor? Prop it on it's bracket and throw a line around it or do I need to store it somewhere else during rapids? (Class 3-4)
3. Does anyone have any experience with Tohatsu/Nissan motors? Tohatsu Outboards 6 Horsepower
4. Any other suggestions are welcome, a total motor newbie here.

Thanks,
Alex

kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2012   #2

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
How are you planning on mounting? A bracket off the end of a round boat? On the frame of a cat? Between 2 round boats? That affects size and storage. The little I've done with motors on round boats, they've always been stowed in a drop hatch during rapids. One of these days I'll get a motor for my cat, and I think it will be okay just propped up but I haven't tried it yet.

Curious what other people think.
asleep.at.the.oars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012   #3
The Russian

SLC, Utah
We are putting it on a 16 foot round boat. Thinking about making a stern frame with a bracket, so most of the push goes towards the frame, rather than the rubber.
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2012   #4

Riverton, Utah
Funny, Alex, I just recently started doing research on this as well... please keep us updated on what you find out.

Has anyone ever tried mounting a motor off the side of the raft... it wouldn't be pushing in line exactly, but I've seen this done on alum boats before.

DanCan
DanCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012   #5
Boy Howdy!

Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
Jeez, last weekends wind event has alot of people thinking about motors. I plan on making a removable transom that will attatch to my frame with the same aluminum i used to buil the frame and t fittings
Old 06-02-2012   #6

Aurora, Oregon
Paddling Since: 5
Herdsire

I would recomend the Yamaha lightweight series in either the 4hp or 6hp models for your application. I fish about 100 days a year have had excellent performance with every Yamaha I have had on my fishing boat.
Both the 4hps and the 6hp have built in fuel tanks which would eliminate the need for a seperate fuel tank and a troublesome fuel hose. A seperate good quality fuel can would be much less prone to any spills and much easier to store onboard your raft. Both models weigh about 60lbs and are one cylinder. One draw back to the single cylinder is they tend to have more vibration than the 2 cylinders.
Honda also makes excellent outboards but they tend to be quite a bit heavier but are excellent motors.
Regarding the shaft length, I would depend on the height of the motor mount. Any good outboard dealership could give you advice on the length of shaft you will need on the motor. Both my motors stay on the back of my fishing boat so I can't offer any advice on the storage issue, but I would also ask the dealer about the proper position to store the motor.
There is nothing worse than having to deal with motor problems when your boating. My best advice is to spend the extra money and buy a good brand to start with. They tend to have a much better resale value as well.
herdsire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012   #7

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
I'd give a little thought to a Diesel outboard.

I used to have a 10 hp Tohatsu on a fishing boat and that little motor was the shiz-nit.

It got really good fuel economy (compared to a 2 stroke) and was much quieter than most outboards.

Diesel also makes good sense on the river - far less likely to explode into a giant fire ball

Diesel outboards run a bit more than comparable gasoline models, but based on my experiences they require less maintenance, burn less fuel, and last longer.

Something to consider...
slavetotheflyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012   #8

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
*edit* I just looked over Tohatsu's site and it appears they no longer make Diesels, or at least I wasn't able to find any.

Just the same I'd do some research on Diesel outboards, I wish I'd never gotten rid of mine.
slavetotheflyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012   #9

Fresno, California
Paddling Since: 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanCan View Post

Has anyone ever tried mounting a motor off the side of the raft... it wouldn't be pushing in line exactly, but I've seen this done on alum boats before.

DanCan
Not going to work well at all
Rafts already aren't effecient for motoring because of the shape of the bottom. There's much MUCH more resistance on the bottom of a raft when compared to pretty much any aluminum boat. SB rafts will be worse than bucket boats, but niether is made to track like an alum boat.

If that resistance is beside the engine the boat will want to run in circles. Yes, it already does with an aluminum boat, but that will also have a relatively smooth bottom, maybe with a keel for better tracking.
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012   #10
Boof like a Utard.

Moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 1995
tohatsu 6hp

I have a Maravia raft with 20" tubes, and I just bought a tohatsu 4 stroke, 6hp with a 20" shaft. I'm a motor newbie as well. I bought the one with an integrated fuel tank for 1-day westwaters. There is a fuel valve and place to connect a larger, separate tank as well. The motor weighs about 60 pounds. My transom setup is what people call a 'ladder' transom. It's a pair of bars going straight off the middle of my frame and over the stern. The mounting bracket is an aluminum plate with a double stack of 1 x 6" trexx. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures yet, but my plan is to rig the motor onto the transom bars during rapids. The place where I bought my motor (they are a Nissan and Tohatsu dealer) said the only difference between Nissan and Tohatsu is the decal on the cowling (and the price). I have been told that Tohatsu also makes the smaller Mercury 4 stroke engines (up to around 40 hp). Basically I paid around $1200, but would have paid around $1400 for a Nissan, and around $1700 for a Mercury. I love the motor and will get some pics up when a small upgrade is made to my transom. My transom was made by Eddyline Welding here in Moab.
kennyv is offline   Reply With Quote