More fun with tubers in the news - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-18-2007   #1

Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1992
More fun with tubers in the news

Found this little gem...

washingtonpost.com

"A 500-pound man injured while tubing down a shallow stretch of the St. Croix River was pulled to safety Tuesday by dozens of rescue workers who spent hours carrying him to a navigable part of the waterway."

"he went on his first tubing trip because of his doctor's suggestion to take up a fun but safe activity."

badkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2007   #2

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Paddling Since: 2002
High Water

I was up there last weekend and the water is only about 6 inches deep! Finally some white water news for MN and it has to be THIS
Modog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007   #3

Umm...whoa. I don't know what to say.
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2007   #4

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Dude, that just made my day. He's not fat, he's just big boned.
Schizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007   #5
Boy Howdy!

Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
Some one should have told him not to stand in the tube while inflating it
pinemnky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007   #6

tubers

well now, from various posts last year, i'm quite educated that tubers are indeed extreme, and run lots of stuff that i don't have the balls to, but last night, as my crew is rolling up to BR on clear creek, we see a group of extreme tubers scoping screaming quarter mile.

did anyone see if they ran it? looks like way too much body abuse to me, and i'm shocked that someone would actually consider getting in there in a tube right now -

i don't like to get there in my tupperware when it's under 400, i can't imagine dangling my legs and ass in there at 250 or whatever it's running at.

anyone see those guys?
Steve Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007   #7

and mom sticking up for her son says even though HE WEIGHS 500 POUNDS "he's really pretty healthy." clsssic.
matobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007   #8

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Unbelievable! Neither my SWR or EMT classes could prepare me to respond to situation like that. Good thing I decided to stick with engineering...
benpetri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by benpetri View Post
Unbelievable! Neither my SWR or EMT classes could prepare me to respond to situation like that. Good thing I decided to stick with engineering...
So instead you have the skills to design a floating truss and pully system to hoist and lift him across the river, using just one hand after your impressive use of mechanical advantage. I do believe I recall you doing a pretty good job of hoisting a fully loaded 8' wide raft onto its side tube to float it through a 4' wide slot with vertical cliff walls on each side....

COUNT
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007   #10

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNT View Post
So instead you have the skills to design a floating truss and pully system to hoist and lift him across the river, using just one hand after your impressive use of mechanical advantage. I do believe I recall you doing a pretty good job of hoisting a fully loaded 8' wide raft onto its side tube to float it through a 4' wide slot with vertical cliff walls on each side....

COUNT
It's all about the triple Z-drag with 27:1 mechanical advantage. Still, with a 500 lb dude on the other end sitting on a deflated innertube in a river with 15 cfs in it, you might need two hands on the rope .

Dude - I totally thought I could boof that slot with the raft. Then I learned one of engineering's important lessons. 2 objects cannot occupy the same space at the same time.
benpetri is offline   Reply With Quote