More Blackwater Narrows Footage - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-07-2012   #1

Teacher, Fort Collins, Colorado
More Blackwater Narrows Footage

This one is way better than Patrick's.

But seriously, pretty crazy shit up there right now if you get up right at the rain bubble. The water was so thick yesterday compared to Thursday that there was no whitewater at all--all features completely black. It felt different, it sounded different. Surreal.

Blackwater Kayaking Poudre Narrows July 6 2012 - YouTube

Buckrodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2012   #2

yeah that is definitely worth a watch...it's like kayaking the black lava flows from hell
BigLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012   #3

Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Sweet video! If you go upside down do you get a inhalation injury? Anybody wanna run it Monday...if its still up?
Crazy Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2012   #4

Fort Collins, Colorado
NoCO Rebuilding Network

Just so everyone knows if you want to donate to help with restoration of our watershed the NoCO rebuilding network is a great local resource. Donations to the Red Cross are good but wont contribute to the restoration efforts we need right now. Check it out:

NoCo Rebuilding Network

High Park Fire Rebuilding Fund | Community Funded
jmetten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012   #5

Arvada (Denver), Colorado
Blackwater Poudre video coming up on Ch 4 right now... preview looks like it's the vid in this thread. Preview clip has blue kayak, blue gear, black paddles...
Ole Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012   #6

Vid clip had voice of Forest Greenough mentioning NoCo rebuilding ("For more info on NoCo rebuilding, go to the wildfire relief section of cbsdenver.com"). Good publicity to help the Poudre, Forest!
Old 07-08-2012   #7

Nice...I haven't seen the CBS 4 spot yet, but I tried to make the visibility useful, ya know? I guess the 9 news spot earlier in the day couldn't fit the donation plug into the 6 seconds they showed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Rivers View Post
Vid clip had voice of Forest Greenough mentioning NoCo rebuilding ("For more info on NoCo rebuilding, go to the wildfire relief section of cbsdenver.com"). Good publicity to help the Poudre, Forest!
Old 07-08-2012   #8

Forest audio and video on for about 1/2 minute of the story's one minute with web site mention at the end.
Old 07-09-2012   #9

So, after spots on 9news and CBS 4 Denver, the story is now going national as of this morning--NBC and The Weather Channel called wanting to use the footage as well. Just want those who lost their homes to know that I'm taking advantage of this opportunity to push for donations for the High Park fire rebuilding efforts. It seems like this publicity can turn into a good thing for some of our local organizations like NoCoRebuilding.org, and no media outlet is allowed to use the footage without plugging our local rebuilding organizations.
Old 07-09-2012   #10

Dome Rock,Blue River,Fairplay CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: BC
Nice videos. A little info on my experience years ago from the Buffalo Creek fire and flood of '96? along what is known as the Foxton run of the North Fork of South Platte. First came some smaller black water events of about 500-1200 cfs. Then the big one came down-estimated by USGS people studying it to be 17,000 cfs-yes, correct number of zeros. In some places the water was 20' above normal high water lines. I don't know how much was water, and how much was ash, mud, trees, cars, propane tanks, bridges, etc. If you find yourself boating with these new found friends, I doubt you will be having fun much longer. Another portion came down Spring Creek, into the mainstem of S.P., temporarily damming the river back about a mile till it broke through. This burn area was only 12,000 acres.
To the residents potentially in harm's way-my heart goes out to you. Please do not ignore all warnings and info I am sure you are being given by local authorities.
GTurp is offline   Reply With Quote