Morals in the form of Freedom - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-15-2012   #1

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Morals in the form of Freedom

Breaking the Rules: Doing Right Means Sometimes Ignoring the Law | Outdoor Adventure | OutsideOnline.com

what do you guys feel about boating in banned places?

"They survive because of tradition, not reason. (It’s an important distinction. Reason brought us the Enlightenment; tradition’s gift is the Taliban.)"

CasperOsama out

caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2012   #2

Columbus, Indiana
Completely agree with this article. America is not free anymore, and it makes me ill.

I do the same as this guy. I break minor laws when I feel it's unjust. I never hurt anybody nor the environment with anything I do along these lines.

For example, when I was in college, we had set up a rope swing way back in the woods. It was "illegal," but it was not hurting anybody or anything. It got found by some idiots and cut down multiple times. We just kept stringing it back up and having fun.

I also jump off of safe bridges that are "illegal." I just don't see why they make them illegal in the first place. They aren't in a location where my fun would disturb anyone, I make sure to scout the area for logs, shrapnel, etc... Nobody gets hurt, nothing is harmed, and I just don't understand the need for these types of restrictions.

The founding fathers would roll over in their graves if they knew the restrictions put on the people of "America" today.
seedubs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012   #3
Boy Howdy!

Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
Thanks for sharing the article
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2012   #4

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Europeans laugh at us. We put up signs telling us to keep safe. Then, when people get injured they sue as if it's someone else's fault. The European culture is, "you jumped, you pay." The culture shift for us, then, is to enforce personal responsibility. If you push me off the bridge then I was wrongfully accosted. If I jump then I was rightfully responsible. It's the same for skiing out of bounds.

The primary justification for restriction is that if you do get injured you might put others at risk if they need to rescue you. As a former member of a volunteer SAR team I can say that 99% of the rescues were due to accident. That 1% was due to stupidity and while I never perceived any undue hazards I know of incidents where rescuers died because someone skied out of bounds or jumped off a bridge or what ever. It's common for EMS to get injured just getting to the scene of any accident.

Now, boating in banned places takes on a little different angle. Private property or the infamous Yellowstone River? Those infractions are founded in two different aspects of law, the former being a HUGE issue that needs addressing and the later being a HUGE issue that really seems a no-brainer. Boat it!
Old 08-15-2012   #5

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
We live in a culture of litigation. And so exactly, no one is willing to allow anyone else any personal freedoms of judgment. It's frustrating, having to deal always with the mass culture's lowest common denominator.

rivervibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012   #6

Denver, Colorado
Caspermike... the words and logic of Henry David Thoreau are calling you. Read Civil Disobedience. MLK found inspiration in his words, and then went on to dismantle the laws of segregation. You, my young Jedi boater, may find inspiration in his words and use them to help dismantle the unjust man-made laws that segregate us boaters from enjoying beautiful rivers.

MLK wrote.. "The answer lies in the fact that there are two types of laws: just and unjust. I would be the first to advocate obeying just laws. One has not only a legal but a moral responsibility to obey just laws. Conversely, one has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws.... Now, what is the difference between the two? How does one determine whether a law is just or unjust? A just law is a man-made code that squares with the moral law or the law of God. An unjust law is a code that is out of harmony with the moral law. To put it in the terms of St. Thomas Aquinas: An unjust law is a human law that is not rooted in eternal law and natural law. Any law that uplifts human personality is just. Any law that degrades human personality is unjust."

Moral law dictates, that as a boater and lover of rivers, it is just for us to boat the rivers that are banned by unjust man-made laws because it uplifts our personalities. Being prohibited from enjoying these rivers is degrading to our personalities.
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012   #7

Bozeman, Montana
Its not just degrading our personalities but the Constitution as well. The problem Jedi Night is that it cant be won alone. There needs to be an uprising for our land of Jah!

I have some ideas... Live Free

Thanks for that aswell Mark
Click image for larger version

Name:	os.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	5060
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012   #8

Denver, Colorado
Your welcome, Mike. Thanks for posting this article. And for passing the .... my way.

And I have this feeling you wouldn't be alone if you decided to live free and boat down a closed river...
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012   #9

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivervibe
We live in a culture of litigation. And so exactly, no one is willing to allow anyone else any personal freedoms of judgment. It's frustrating, having to deal always with the mass culture's lowest common denominator.
According to my Swiss aunt, the reason Americans are so litigious and always looking to sue someone while Europeans take responsibility for their own actions is due to the roots of our legal systems. American law is rooted in a different philosophy than European law. Like Greek vs Roman or something like that. Any Layers out there that can tell us why ours is so messed up? It is amazing that we call ourselves the land of the free with all the idiotic rules we have to save us from ourselves. Avoiding liability is the law of the land.
blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012   #10

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Back in the south we've had a big issue with the 0 sections of the Chattooga... basically the trout lobby kept us out, even though the times when the water is boatable correlates negatively to good ( or decent) fishing.

I may be making furtive solo trips soon, as my 'rents live 15 minutes from there... (looks over shoulder).
justinm is offline   Reply With Quote