Montrose WW park this weekend or soon? - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-22-2016   #1
Boof it like you stole it

G-wood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Montrose WW park this weekend or soon?

Wondering about warm weather and the montrose whitewater park? Anybody?

boofyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2016   #2

GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by boofyak View Post
Wondering about warm weather and the montrose whitewater park? Anybody?
It's running, albeit low, and there is no ice. But it is loooooooow. Like scrape down the ramps in order to (maybe?) side surf a bit at the bottom.

Typically irrigation starts running ~mid-march to early april. Should be good to go by 4/1 if not sooner.

The good news is Westwater is ice free. Ran it today -- great to be back on the water.
Old 04-01-2016   #3

Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
fyi, flows are up.
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2016   #4

GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
fyi, flows are up.
Yep. We played for a few hours on Tuesday. Snow off-and-on didn't dampen things a bit. Massive ice-cream headaches from back-to-back rolls did.

Should be better with some sun.
Old 04-02-2016   #5

Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Yep flows are up pretty good so dust of those paddles and get on the Unc. to burn off all that winter blub. I've definitely overindulged in to many brews and nasty cigars this winter, so I,m sure even the easy class II town run will make me huff and puff way to much. But really guys why just spend hours play-boating when the 3 mile town-run is really pretty fun with 2 really nice play waves, then finish up in the park. Got a small group getting on around 1 p.m. Sunday, come join the fun. Gunnerman at 970-497-6512.
gunnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016   #6

Commercial Paleontology
Montrose Town Run

Saw the message about the playpark & the post saying to throw the town run into the mix. So where do you folks put in for that short stretch? Thanxs for any info. Please be specific cause I dont know Montrose that well other than M-Wave & play park.
MtnGuyXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016   #7

Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
The best put-in is located across from the Ute Indian Museum located just as you cross the river on Hwy. 550 leaving Mo-town. Park in the small pull-off by the picnic tables and look for the large winding wood ramp; take that to the river and walk under the bridge for the best eddies. There is a very small, crappy eddie at the end of ramp when flows are low. The other put-in is on the other side by a small frontage road going into Target Mall, you'll figure it out.
gunnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016   #8

Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I think the better put-in is just South of Target on the east side of the river. From Townsend go west on Otter. Park at the right turn as it becomes Wolverine and walk the flat dirt path to the river. You can take out at the West Main Trailhead, which is just east of the river on Main Street.

I really wouldn't recommend the town run for kayakers. With a lot of riverside clean-up work it would be pleasant. It is fairly unaesthetic now. I would rather spend my time at the WW park itself.
Duckins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016   #9
Boof it like you stole it

G-wood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Camping near WWpark?

Planning a trip to check out whitewater park. How close are camping options? Don't want to crash in parking lot....
boofyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016   #10
$5 shower

Historic Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by boofyak View Post
Planning a trip to check out whitewater park. How close are camping options? Don't want to crash in parking lot....
There is a KOA in town. Ton's of options just outside of town if you don't mind primitive. There is a NPS campground at the Black Canyon just 11 miles outside town or head up Hwy 90 and camp anywhere.
Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ark