montrose town run? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-13-2008   #1
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
montrose town run?

i know there are not many of you montrovians out there, but anybody in those parts got the beta on a montrose town run? put in @ the 550 bridge @ the ute museum and then..........?

is there good access at CO 90? La Salle Rd? What is the dam like just below the museum?

Gonna be in Montrose this weekend for shopping but thinking of taking the boat, flows say 700 in colona + 900 in the south canal, theres gotta be at least half (if not more) of that total in montrose proper.........any info?

Advertisement

Old 08-13-2008   #2

Redmond, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
Hey... I'm a Montrovian... although I'm a rookie kayaker (just got my roll down, yea!).

I just asked a local kayaker, friend today about the Montrose town run... good close practice for me. He said put in at Ute, then take out at either baldridge park or cerise park (new park, west main (CO 90) L on chipeta L into park). I know that you can take out by La Salle, although I'm not sure if it's private property... I see kayakers down their once in a while.

Not sure about the dam, their are signs at baldridge that you must portage but I think its bs... (again, I haven't done it)

I'm not sure about the cfs but driving by it looks fine.

I'd go with possibly on a Sunday run??? If you wanna hang with a rookie!
jwey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008   #3

Duhrango
My brother lives in Montrose and I call him a Montroid. I've heard both.
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2008   #4
God Amongst Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwey View Post
Hey... I'm a Montrovian... although I'm a rookie kayaker (just got my roll down, yea!).

I just asked a local kayaker, friend today about the Montrose town run... good close practice for me. He said put in at Ute, then take out at either baldridge park or cerise park (new park, west main (CO 90) L on chipeta L into park). I know that you can take out by La Salle, although I'm not sure if it's private property... I see kayakers down their once in a while.

Not sure about the dam, their are signs at baldridge that you must portage but I think its bs... (again, I haven't done it)

I'm not sure about the cfs but driving by it looks fine.

I'd go with possibly on a Sunday run??? If you wanna hang with a rookie!
Hey, thanks for the beta. anything is better than no replies at all. the park by CO 90 (cerise?? never heard of that, interesting name) is probably the best option....there is a diversion dam directly below La Salle St bridge, but it looks like there is a large graveled flat area in between the dam and the road?? but like you say, private prop is a concern.

im afraid a sunday run is out, the downriver race on the taylor is that day and i am going to up there watching and enjoying the extra cfs for the race, so were likely going down on saturday. we still actually havent decided, im trying to get some ideas here, but were tossin around the ark, this, or maybe the rio g? wherever we go it will be saturday though. if not this weekend what about next week? mon, tues, wed, could work for us pretty easy? and doesnt matter about your ability, ill go with anyone who is chill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
My brother lives in Montrose and I call him a Montroid. I've heard both.
ha ha, montroid......i like. ive heard montrovian and 'troser.....but never montroid!
Old 08-13-2008   #5

Redmond, Oregon
I may be able to do a evening run one of those days. Got one of those 8-5 job things...pain in the ass. I may need to be getting ready for a trip back to Oregon the following week though. Give me a call and we'll see 970-596-9046 (Jason).
Old 08-14-2008   #6
God Amongst Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwey View Post
I may be able to do a evening run one of those days. Got one of those 8-5 job things...pain in the ass. I may need to be getting ready for a trip back to Oregon the following week though. Give me a call and we'll see 970-596-9046 (Jason).
Yeah, the 8-5 blows. I was lucky enough to get most of next week off so I'm trying to figure out where to paddle while I'm off. We're still looking at Saturday (it's a bummer you cant join us, but there will be a next time) but if the plans change and we end up somewhere else then I will definitely try to make it down next week in the evening.

I will keep you updated.

Anybody have any more info???
Old 08-14-2008   #7

Duhrango
Hey Yeti... you state you are going to Montrose to shop. The best place in town is the Russell Stover factory outlet store. Lots and lots of chocolate at rock bottom prices. That's my first stop on every visit to 'Trose.
Old 08-14-2008   #8

crested butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Send a message via Yahoo to milo
....montose town run......

...i always thought the town run was EAST PORTAL down towards CHUKAR.......NO WONDER IT WAS ALWAYS HARDER THAN I EXPECTED.....montroid420CB
milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008   #9
God Amongst Men

Geezer-

yeah the Russel Stover's is always on my list. we've been going there since they built that new outlet store a few years ago, makes it way easier than having to go to the factory itself like you used to have to do.....

milo-

i always thought that was the M-Box? but i guess it works well too. i guess we'll just call this "montroid alley"

still looking for any further info. dam runnable? is there truly a whitewater feature at "cerise park"? thanks
Old 08-15-2008   #10

Redmond, Oregon
Hey, I did the run from Ute Park (across from the Museum) to Cerise Park yesterday... The only obstacle on the run is the diversion at baldridge park, you'll see the signs... I portaged it due to my rookie status and I was alone, but it looks easily runable down the tongue, waves push right thru. Either side may be small keeper holes for the unexperienced. It's at most a III- in class. Other than that your take out is river left just after the walk bridge at recla metals (you'll start to see metal junk on river right). If you reach the main street bridge you've gone to far... that's what I did yesterday. There's no whitewater feature at cerise park, some decient waves here and there on the way down though. There is a low head dam after the la salle rd bridge, pretty sure it's unrunable. Have fun!