Montana Kayaking - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-01-2015   #1

Edwards, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Montana Kayaking

I am a junior in high school and I am starting to narrow down my college list and I am going to apply to Montana State University and the University of Montana. I was just wondering which one is closest to some whitewater and skiing but the kayak scene is more important to me. Also, I will probably be studying film and I know both of them have film schools but if any of you would recommend one over the other your input is welcome!

Thanks!
Caleb

Advertisement

Old 03-01-2015   #2

Enfield, New Hampshire
Paddling Since: 1990
The one that is in Missoula,cannot remember which of the 2 that is, is walking or biking distance of the Missoula play park. The Alberton gorge is but a short drive away. The Lochsa is not too far. I am sure theres more that I don't know of. I have paddled out of Missoula several times, mainly in summer, don't know anything about the other institution.
JIMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015   #3

Edwards, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMM View Post
The one that is in Missoula,cannot remember which of the 2 that is, is walking or biking distance of the Missoula play park. The Alberton gorge is but a short drive away. The Lochsa is not too far. I am sure theres more that I don't know of. I have paddled out of Missoula several times, mainly in summer, don't know anything about the other institution.
Awesome, that's helpful. I should have clarified, the University of Montana is in Missoula and Montana State is in Bozeman.
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2015   #4

Pueblo, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Missoula

I spent a week in Missoula and had so much fun on the gorge. The suck holes on the eddy lines were six and 8 feet in diameter. You could do Stern squirts and disappear. I think the Clarks Fork was running at 30,000.

The Lochsa is a short drive. Pipeline is my Favorite Park and play wave surfwave in the west.

Big water class IV is the best.

I can't comment on the mountain biking. But the kayaking deafly puts Missoula head and shoulders above.
Krynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015   #5

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2014
Some boater friends of mine lived in Bozeman and said it had a good kayaking scene there...
jjeco5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015   #6

If you want focus on kayaking and of course "college" I would seriously consider Portland. You are probably gonna get better education in Portland and learn to paddle from some of the best boaters in the world. I went to school in Bozeman , it was great and I have no regrets, but I would have benefited from a bigger city scene. Sophisticated mustaches and skinny genes, they're really neat. JK.. But seriously.. if you want to run the shit and go to school..PNW all the way! Don't mess around with overrated skiing and kayaking in Montana.
crowdaroundum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015   #7
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
During class it will not be peak run-off so you should really focus on other aspects like education and skiing which favors MSU. Can't speak to the film programs at the two schools specifically but in general UM has more of an arts vibe going.

If you are sticking around for the summer Bozeman has better access to Big Timber Creek, Clarks fork of the Yellowstone, Henry's fork of the Snake and a peppering of other volume runs. Missoula has a playwave in town that is prime at high water and front surfable at low flows. Alberton gorge is runnable year round but best in mid to late summer after peak and the Lochsa and other classics are within easy striking distance. Missoula has a more dirtbag hippie vibe and a much better live music and food scene. Bozeman has more yuppies and cowboys.
Old 03-01-2015   #8

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowdaroundum View Post
If you want focus on kayaking and of course "college" I would seriously consider Portland. You are probably gonna get better education in Portland and learn to paddle from some of the best boaters in the world. I went to school in Bozeman , it was great and I have no regrets, but I would have benefited from a bigger city scene. Sophisticated mustaches and skinny genes, they're really neat. JK.. But seriously.. if you want to run the shit and go to school..PNW all the way! Don't mess around with overrated skiing and kayaking in Montana.
How's the scene near Tacoma, WA? I think I might be heading there for college.
jjeco5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015   #9

St. Anthony, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
It's solid. Check out ProfessorPaddle.com. You'll be faced with a drive over an hour for staples such as the Skykomish, Snoqualmie, and Green River. There's a lot more going on if you're looking for more creeks etc. but your drive time increases (4 hours to Hood River and BC is to the north). Things slow down in August but besides that you've got year round paddling options. Ask the folks at ProfessorPaddle.
sweetwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015   #10

Edwards, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowdaroundum View Post
I am looking at many schools in the PNW as well, montana's schools just have slightly better film schools from what I have researched but I am also looking at U of O, Western Washington, and Willamette

Tags
kayaking