The Register-Herald, Beckley, West Virginia - Kayaker dies on Upper Gauley

Southern Skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2007   #2

Golden, Colorado
oh man... that's sad.
Old 10-06-2007   #3

When somthing like this happens, you have to wonder who it was. I've spent many days on the Alberton Gorge near Missoula with a lot of different local paddlers. One guy, I can think of was still in high school when I met him this past summer. It kind of makes me think it could have been him. Whoever it was, my sincere condollances go to his family and friends. It just goes to show that sometimes things happen on the river that may be completely out of our control. His friends were there to save him, but they couldn't even get him out of the boat. The only thing we can do is boat within our comfort level and skill level and be careful to avoid the same fait.
cemartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2007   #4
Fred Gnarquist

carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
i went to world class with him last year, he was an awesome kid and a sick boater, we will all miss you

times like these make me remember that even on an easy rapid, shit can go down so i would like to remind everyone to stay safe out there, i have run that very same notch at least five times, i was very suprised when i heard where it happened

this is a tragedy, and we should all be aware of the dangers when we go boating

Rest In Peace
fred norquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007   #5

KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie
It is beyond sad the impact felt by so many to hear this news. The loss of life in any case is painful but as a new father, hearing of this loss deeply saddens me. I prayed with my son as I put him to sleep tonight to be with the family involved. I can only imagine a fraction of the pain they must feel.
But we also prayed for the classmates, teachers and friends of this young person. I once was along with a very close childhood friend when he lost his life. The pain was overwhellming. It is a very tough situation for them all. I sincerely wish you my best and will continue to pray for you all. I met a lot of young paddlers traveling with the schools at Nationals this year and think they are such an incredible group of young men and women. If you read this know that many people think highly of you and have you in their thoughts and prayers.

hobie
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie View Post
It is beyond sad the impact felt by so many to hear this news. The loss of life in any case is painful but as a new father, hearing of this loss deeply saddens me. I prayed with my son as I put him to sleep tonight to be with the family involved. I can only imagine a fraction of the pain they must feel.
But we also prayed for the classmates, teachers and friends of this young person. I once was along with a very close childhood friend when he lost his life. The pain was overwhellming. It is a very tough situation for them all. I sincerely wish you my best and will continue to pray for you all. I met a lot of young paddlers traveling with the schools at Nationals this year and think they are such an incredible group of young men and women. If you read this know that many people think highly of you and have you in their thoughts and prayers.

hobie
Perfectly put on a sad weekend.
farp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007   #7

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie View Post

hobie

it breaks my heart to hear about this. i will continue to pray for the family, students, and teachers affected by this tragedy.

avery
amajors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007   #8

unemployeed
Send a message via ICQ to northfwestg
much respect

in the water world in which we dwell, these things can go down, though i didnt know the brother, northwestern montana kayakers will mourn the loss of this paddler of the KNAR, HERES TO YA
northfwestg is offline   Reply With Quote