Montana forum - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-23-2010   #1

The Bitterroot, Montana
Montana forum

Does anyone know of a montana paddling specific forum? I have googled "montana kayak forums" and found nothing but adds and retail store locators. After more than a few years living in my van and traveling between climbing destinations I am trying to buy a piece of land in Montana. Buy 20 acres, throw a yurt up, raise some chickens... all that shit. It's cheep and has all the things I love to do (climbing, boating, and snowboarding ((which I dont like so much right now because I am recovering from a broken femur)). I am leaning towards the Missoula area because there seems to be more variety of WW than Bozeman (corect me if I'm wrong). I paddled Galliten canyon at medium flows and think I would get board with that as the local run. I was just looking for a source of some more info on paddleing in the state. Almost all of my paddling has been done in northern Wyoming, sothern Montana, and a little bit in Idaho. I know almost nothing of the WW in the northern part of the state. Any info would be great.

montuckyhuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2010   #2

B.F.E., Wyoming
Although the Northerners numbers are growing on the buzz, I think most Montana, Idaho and Northern Wyo boys(and girls) post on TGR.

Be careful because they are aren't quite as hospitable as the buzz... Search first then post. And enjoy your first JONG!

(you'll know what all this means once you post over there a bit)
freexbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010   #3

The Bitterroot, Montana
I saw on your profile Fremont as on of your favorite runs. Is this the same stretch below the dam that has climbing? I've climbed there in mid summer and did'nt see any boaters. Whats it all about? The climbing feels commiting when you rappel in and pull the ropes to get back out, I can Imagine the chances for scouting and portaging are slim... at least from what I saw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2010   #4

B.F.E., Wyoming
Yea, it is the same. It only flows 75 CFS year round unless they flush it. Which doesn't happen often. Its pretty hard to scout but there is nothing to scout.... If you drop into the full box canyon there are a couple monster sieves you have to portage but they are easy to see and not too hard to portage. Most of the time we just do the top part of the canyon which has the best white water but going into the full gorge is Beautiful especially knowing not very many people float that stretch....
freexbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010   #5

Denver / Coloma / Monterey, CO / CA
Paddling Since: 1971
There is LOTS of great boating in the Bozeman area:

Play: All kinds on the Yellowstone, on various sections within an hour of Bozeman.
RR: Boulder River, West Rosebud, Madison
Creeks: Boulder River, East Rosebud, Big Timber (some of these are big kid class V)

And if you want to drive a little there are some great (hard) runs on the Clarks Fork of the Yellowstone in Wyoming (just out of Yellowstone), not to be confused with the Clark Fork out of Missoula.

If you can find a copy of Montana Surf, buy it. That book will set you straight.
Kyle K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010   #6

The Bitterroot, Montana
Yeah, montana surf is fairly hard to find... I think a reprint is in order sometime soon. The Clarks Fork is over my head right now. I paddled crendell creek which leads into honeymoon (I think) and got my first real beat down (some time spent in an undercut). I paddled Mesa Falls and a few other fairly dumb things for a newb baoter before my beatdown on crendell (spelling?). I've decided to take some time for surfing and hardish III's before I start to step it up again. I want to get to the point of paddling some "big boy" stuff I just needed a lesson to realize it takes time. Good thing it didn't cost more than a bloody shin and an embarising hike out! one of the big advantages of bozeman I could see is it's proximity to the Alpine Canyon (snake) because that play is great.
Old 03-23-2010   #7

Denver / Coloma / Monterey, CO / CA
Paddling Since: 1971
That would be Crandall Creek. Yep, MT (and WY) have some serious undercuts so best to be on your game there.

However, the play can be as fun as anywhere I've been. Check these out, all within an hour of Bozeman:

Yellowstone River, Gardiner Run: Park and Play at the take out:
American Whitewater - playtime in yankee jim

Yellowstone River just west of Big Timber, "float and play":
American Whitewater - NWRI - Yellowstone 2. Boulder R. to Clarks Fork Yellowstone R.
Further downstream of this wave, at lower flows is one of the best waves to learn on, called Mrs. Bubbles.

On the east side of Big Timber, just a few miles down the freeway, still on the Yellowstone, there is another "float and play" run that includes two great features:
Four Banger: Great wave play on 4 waves in one rapid (short stroll back to the top)
Greycliff: A super mellow wave with eddy service that is just right for perfecting your spins, etc.

Last, but not least, Mr. Bubbles is on another "float and play" on the Stillwater.
American Whitewater - NWRI - Stillwater 3. Cliff Swallow public access to Whitebird public access

Missoula is a really fun area too. There is a fun feature right in town: Brennan's Wave. There are also some fun runs close by, including some reasonably "easy" creeking.

I like both towns a lot but prefer Bozeman personally. The calling card for Missoula however is the much milder weather, so the play boating season lasts longer. Both towns have lots of outdoor types in residence, along with universities, making for fun nightlife. Either way, you should be a happy camper!
Kyle K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010   #8

The Bitterroot, Montana
Yessir' Bozman and Missoula both seem to have the most "outdoorsy" (pc way of saying dirty hippie) type mountain folk in Montana. Missoula is cheaper, Bozeman is more central in a lot of ways...... Much thought and boating must go into this decision. Dang ol' femur still hurts to roll my boat. Hope it callms down a bunch by the time a few things up here get kicking.
Old 03-25-2010   #9

Cheap 20 acres? Not sure what part of MT you're looking at, but there is not any cheap 20 acres near Bozeman that are zoned for Yurts. By Missoula, near Hamilton you can be the latest transplant to move into white trash MT to buy 20 acres, raise chickens and be a Montanan. Hamilton may be the place you are looking for. Lots of kayaking, not much skiing though.

They are very different towns. Bozeman is the climate of Jackson and Missoula is the climate of Portland. 2 different climates. Neither is Boulder expensive, but neither is cheap as well. Great Falls is cheap and I hear lots of kayakers have been moving there lately. So Great Falls and Hamilton may be the towns to check out for you.
craporadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010   #10

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Bozangles gangster here. Nah all yah NE da do is mov ta the La in MT and forget about it! Just two low payments and you can live here 2. So what are you waiting for call now! And the medical mari is outstanding! Yellowstoner is gonna be dope for feestyle and the gally is rad pretty much whenever you are in it. Not great play but great fun for sure
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote