Money, Lost Paddles, Broken Boats, Gas..... - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-13-2008   #1

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Money, Lost Paddles, Broken Boats, Gas.....

How do most of you guys afford this? I think I have a decent job but I know I cant afford 3 - 4 broken boats a year, a few lost paddles, gas to all of these destinations.....

Do you guys just sacrifice everything for the love of the sport or is there just something that I am missing?

p5ycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2008   #2
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
My non-boating friends are pissed that I can never afford to hang out with them- priorities, priorities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5ycho View Post
How do most of you guys afford this? I think I have a decent job but I know I cant afford 3 - 4 broken boats a year, a few lost paddles, gas to all of these destinations.....

Do you guys just sacrifice everything for the love of the sport or is there just something that I am missing?
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008   #3
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I sell high grade heroin to high school kids.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2008   #4

Quote:

Buy a higher quality boat and hold on to your fucking paddle basically.
kevintee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008   #5
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post
I sell high grade heroin to high school kids.
selling drugs to high school kids also epitomizes the american experience, just look.....a self made entrepreneur operating his small business with his loyal client base. its the american dream!

but more on topic, you're looking more at folks who tend to be gear abusive, or are possibly sponsored. most boaters don't have 4 boats lying around and most boaters dont have a steady supply of paddles sitting around. i know whenever i need a piece of gear i always have to work my finances so i can get it uber quick. if i have to live off some mac n cheese n tuna for a few days because of it......well, its worth it. since i started paddling the only gear i have replaced is my paddle (lost) and my ducky (needed a new one). everything else (skirt, hardshell, helmet, pfd, etc) ive had since i started.....like kevin said, just not as harshly.....just learn to keep a close eye on your shit and dont blatantly abuse it (oberlais you know what im talking about......your surprise ledge rock boof qualifies) and you should be good
Old 09-13-2008   #6
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I'll spend a year in a "real job" and play on the weekends, then spend most of a year working and playing on the river. Hit repeat. It keeps my debt manageable and my head right.

The average American spends over $1000 on their cable bill. I might have to go watch football at friend's houses, but that's a G I spend on gear....

I also live with several roommates. College girls.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008   #7

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevintee View Post
Buy a higher quality boat and hold on to your fucking paddle basically.

Spot on, Kevintee.

I think it sounds like you're fucking up too much. Don't swim and you won't lose your paddle and wrap your boat. I'm not a role model in this area so I'm not saying that from a high-horse (how do they get a horse high anyway?), but poor decisions increase your chances of swimming which in turn leads to lost & broken gear or worse.

Oh, and with respect to gas, carpool, do bike shuttles, and when possible take the little car instead of the monster truck. I have a friend with a Toyota Tundra who has twice done a trip to California with at least 5, maybe 6?, people each time in one truck and they had a moto-caddy with a motorcycle on the back for shuttles. Little uncomfortable in the truck, but are you going to boat or for the car ride? Stack that sucker up high and have a great time.
Schizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008   #8
CGM

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schizzle View Post
Spot on, Kevintee.

I think it sounds like you're fucking up too much. Don't swim and you won't lose your paddle and wrap your boat. I'm not a role model in this area so I'm not saying that from a high-horse (how do they get a horse high anyway?), but poor decisions increase your chances of swimming which in turn leads to lost & broken gear or worse.

Oh, and with respect to gas, carpool, do bike shuttles, and when possible take the little car instead of the monster truck. I have a friend with a Toyota Tundra who has twice done a trip to California with at least 5, maybe 6?, people each time in one truck and they had a moto-caddy with a motorcycle on the back for shuttles. Little uncomfortable in the truck, but are you going to boat or for the car ride? Stack that sucker up high and have a great time.
???Yeah, you guys got it right (insert sarcasm HERE). Brokern gear and lost paddles is 100% attributable to swims and poor decision making. (insert MORE sarcasm HERE) As has been mentioned on the buzz numerous times this season, boats break. And in my opinion, if you creek there are two things that WILL happen. 1) you will swim, 2) you will break boats. It sucks, but IMO, this is the price of admission. I've never lost or broken a paddle or boat in a swim, but I have broken boats and paddles on the river. I paddle about 50 days a year, and that spells about 1 broken boat (2 this season) and a replaced paddle almost every year. And I am not sacrifcing on quality, which is about the same from any of the big name manufacturers, and we do try and cut costs as much as possible by cramming people into cars, cooking our own food on road trips, buying cheap beer, etc. I definitely paddle my fair share of Front Range mank, but I broke 1 of my boats in Norway this year, which is everything but manky! So to answer the question...it is freakin hard to afford, and between international and domestic travel, gear, food, etc...I would say that I sacrafice just about every other form of entertainment and almost all my vacation time to be able to be on the river as much as possible. Which is probably why chiks can't deal with my shit from April - September Probably a good thing I don't live somewhere with year round paddling!
Old 09-14-2008   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGM View Post
???Yeah, you guys got it right (insert sarcasm HERE). Brokern gear and lost paddles is 100% attributable to swims and poor decision making. (insert MORE sarcasm HERE)
Didn't exactly sound like we were talking about Class V mank.
kevintee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008   #10

Quote:
Pretty much. Ramen is 6 cents a pack and seasonings like ketchup, salt, pepper, tabasco, etc. are free at any reputable eatery, as well as water. Next step is ditching the rent check and living out of my car. That'll save me at least a couple grand a year.
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote