Moab: Spring Break - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-16-2004   #1

Socratic Philosopher
Moab: Spring Break

What is the beta on the "Moab Daily"? Where is the best Put-in and Take-out. I am going with non-boaters who want to boat (in addition to bike/hike). Is this a float or should I stick them in a raft trip. If raft trip who do you recommend?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2004   #2

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I will make this real easy, the Moab Daily sucks. It is equivilant to floating across a lake.

Enjoy!
cosurfgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004   #3

The Moab Daily is actually an awesome trip for non-boaters. Its mellow, quiet, and BEAUTIFUL, Aside from the fact that there is a road along the whole thing. There are not too many hikes along the river in this section, but ones you can access accross the highway. Negro Bill is great. There is a lot of places to put-in/take-out. For a long trip I would say go from Bridge to Bridge (Dewey Bridge to the Moab Bridge) I heard there is a lot of water right now, and you could make that in one long day, or you could break it up into two. If you dont want to go that long, Hittle Bottom is a good Put-in. The Desert is such a beautiful place, I hope this helps!
-WORD
-Tyler
Tylermon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2004   #4

Paddling Since: 1997
are there any just decent or good (for moab) play spots in moab?
asherj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004   #5

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
There are some fun, splashy rapids above Moab that would be a fun trip for novices. You'd probably want to start at Rocky Rapid and run to takeout Beach. The water's only running about 2500 so it may be a bit slow - all the way from Hittle Bottom may be a haul. Its all about a Class II - II+. You may be able to rent a raft in Moab if the outfitters are open for business now.

The water's going to be ice cold and booties will be a must . I'd advise against Duckies unless you get folks into drysuits. If someone falls in w/out a wetsuit, they'll have about 3 minutes in the 32.1 degree water before they start looking a bit blue, if you get my drift. Its supposed to be a scorcher though so the water cannon may be a good thing to have along!

Have fun!
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009   #6

Little help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosurfgod View Post
I will make this real easy, the Moab Daily sucks. It is equivilant to floating across a lake.

Enjoy!
Live in the CO mountains and want to put the raft in the water with weather a bit nicer than in Crested Butte. Looking for class II-III. Not scared to drive for good water/weather. Got any ideas?
bigweave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009   #7

SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosurfgod View Post
It's not a play-park, but I think it's gorgeous. Did you ever lift your gaze from your crotch and look around?
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
It's not a play-park, but I think it's gorgeous. Did you ever lift your gaze from your crotch and look around?

Maybe it was different 5 years ago when this was posted. Doubtful
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009   #9

SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
Oopsó time warp.
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009   #10

RFV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
Hmmm, What sucks about the Daily?Let's see there's the convenient boat ramps with pit toilets & garbage dumpsters. Shaded beaches,plenty of hiking,Gold mines and movie set's.Granary's and Kivas(if you look for them).Plenty of room for your dog to run the length of it River right. Who needs that ? And If you spend the day at Onion Creek the road isn't a problem.
I'd go to Canyon Voyages they'll take you or rent you a boat and you can take yourself that's always an adventure.