Mountain Buzz banner

Moab: Spring Break

7K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  MoabColorado 
#1 ·
What is the beta on the "Moab Daily"? Where is the best Put-in and Take-out. I am going with non-boaters who want to boat (in addition to bike/hike). Is this a float or should I stick them in a raft trip. If raft trip who do you recommend?

Thanks!

#3 ·
The Moab Daily is actually an awesome trip for non-boaters. Its mellow, quiet, and BEAUTIFUL, Aside from the fact that there is a road along the whole thing. There are not too many hikes along the river in this section, but ones you can access accross the highway. ***** Bill is great. There is a lot of places to put-in/take-out. For a long trip I would say go from Bridge to Bridge (Dewey Bridge to the Moab Bridge) I heard there is a lot of water right now, and you could make that in one long day, or you could break it up into two. If you dont want to go that long, Hittle Bottom is a good Put-in. The Desert is such a beautiful place, I hope this helps!
-WORD
-Tyler

#5 ·
There are some fun, splashy rapids above Moab that would be a fun trip for novices. You'd probably want to start at Rocky Rapid and run to takeout Beach. The water's only running about 2500 so it may be a bit slow - all the way from Hittle Bottom may be a haul. Its all about a Class II - II+. You may be able to rent a raft in Moab if the outfitters are open for business now.

The water's going to be ice cold and booties will be a must . I'd advise against Duckies unless you get folks into drysuits. If someone falls in w/out a wetsuit, they'll have about 3 minutes in the 32.1 degree water before they start looking a bit blue, if you get my drift. Its supposed to be a scorcher though so the water cannon may be a good thing to have along!

Have fun!

#10 ·
Hmmm, What sucks about the Daily?Let's see there's the convenient boat ramps with pit toilets & garbage dumpsters. Shaded beaches,plenty of hiking,Gold mines and movie set's.Granary's and Kivas(if you look for them).Plenty of room for your dog to run the length of it River right. Who needs that ? And If you spend the day at Onion Creek the road isn't a problem.
I'd go to Canyon Voyages they'll take you or rent you a boat and you can take yourself that's always an adventure.

#11 ·
i would rather spend spring break in casper wyoming than moab... but that was a bad experience of jeep week laid in a tent pucking your guts out in 90 degree weather. the water was the only thing that cured my sickness and it was nothing extrodinary.

wall street was bad ass and the trails were cool. but good idea of taking non boaters there thats exactly what that place is a non boating play ground. i would rent some jeeps if i were you.

#13 ·
Another option - put in at Dewey Bridge (with a boat ramp) for a real mellow float, and take out at Rocky Rapid (aka Ida Gulch). It really is a nice float for non-boaters, Dewey to Hittle Bottom (the main put-in) is totally flat, with a nice short walk up Bull Canyon, and more fun waves from Hittle on down. Be aware if you're here (yup, I live in Moab) it is absolutely insane during Easter week (if that's your spring break) with all the off-roaders. We usually leave town, cuz it's too crazy. But Pasta is right -- that stretch is absolutely beautiful, and except for a few spots, you'd never even know that a road borders the water. And Canyon Voyages is open, as are most outfitters by then - CV is best for trips OR rentals - get a 14' paddle boat and have a ball.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.