Moab Daily - worth it currently? any play? - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-02-2005   #1

Cody, Wyoming
Moab Daily - worth it currently? any play?

going to moab this weekend, is it worth it to take the boats? is the "fisher towers" section referred to by all the outfitter descriptions the same as the moab daily run? is there any play at current levels?

never been, so all advice about boating and biking is appreciated. i did a search of past related posts, so new and additional info would be helpful. thanks in advance. later.

pbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2005   #2

Bugtussle, Kentucky
I ran it a week ago. No class III's at this level, and not much play but it is a beautiful run. We put in a Hittle Bottom and ended at Sandy Beach. Do it.
bjett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005   #3
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Re: Moab Daily - worth it currently? any play?

My understanding is the two sections you're referring to are the same - or at least pretty damn close together. Either way, you're definitely looking at a class I/II float trip. If you come in w/ daylight do drive in that way though. Also I like to camp by the river - you can actually camp under some trees.

I tried to look up some info once before and seem to remember there being some crappy wave at some level somewhere near Moab, but with world class mountain biking in the area, I'd spend my time doing that. Wish I was going out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbowman
going to moab this weekend, is it worth it to take the boats? is the "fisher towers" section referred to by all the outfitter descriptions the same as the moab daily run? is there any play at current levels?

never been, so all advice about boating and biking is appreciated. i did a search of past related posts, so new and additional info would be helpful. thanks in advance. later.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2005   #4

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Phillip-

There is some play if you look really hard and don't expect too much. It is a nice floater with all of the scenery. If the wind is blowing, don't put on because it will be a miserable time (especially in a raft!).

If you can cram some basic camping gear into your boat, there is a beautiful, legal, private beach campground over near Onion Creek (or Professor Creek, they all seem the same) Rapid.

I'll run it with you on Sunday if you want. Or better yet, see if there is a permit for Westy! We can one day it in my raft or kayaks.

Also, a Mexico trip for this time next year is in the works! Start planning now, details will come soon!
rivermanryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005   #5

engineer
If you can swing it, take a couple of runs down ShoShone on the way out, and on the way back. I try to do just that when I hit MOAB, Fruita GJ....

PEACE..
bouldrmatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005   #6
tea

At this level, below 4,200 cfs, there's a fun small hole - the trash compacter - just below sandy beach. You can't miss it. Eddy access on river right. The hole is in the center of the river. It's good for park and plop. Put in at sandy and take out at sandy, if you don't want to do the down river thing.
tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005   #7

Phil, I'm planning on heading out to Moab this weekend as well for some biking, so maybe we can meet for some riding.

Ryan, I look forward to hearing about Mexico.

Brody
bwilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005   #8

Cody, Wyoming
brody, i will give you a call sometime on friday and see what your plans are. ellen is pretty new to mtn biking, so we were going to do something fairly easy together, and maybe i can break off with you afterwards for more of a challenge.

as for the park n' plop at sandy beach, thanks for the heads up tea. that sounds perfect - i will bring the boat and check it out. later all.
pbowman is offline   Reply With Quote