Missoula VS. Portland - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-31-2014   #1

up north, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2008
Missoula VS. Portland

Getting sick of the ID panhandle. Seasonal boating unless I wand to drive two hours and no social scene unless you drive for 300 miles.

What I'm looking for- my GF and I are talking the marriage baby talk and want a larger community to live in, with good schools for a kid and good boating, enough crime to teach a kid about a real place but not Compton, after work options that dont take three hours with round trip and shuttle.... thoughts?

Hydrobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2014   #2

up north, Idaho
Oh, and Hood River would be sick but not enough work for us...
Old 01-31-2014   #3

Bazzaro, Free
Paddling Since: 2020
What! You got to be kidding. Right! TP is in right now. DD, Sulivan, and climax are sweet! Most of the year there is something. Pack, lightning, grouse, shit creek, marble, lions head. That's the quick short list. If you can't find anything in upper Idaho then you are not trying. IMHO

And o my god... Don't do it! Marriage is for those who want to experience "TURE" pain. Not physical pain that makes you stronger but the kind of pain the hurts from the inside and steals from your sole! The kind of pain that no-one can fully explain. Look deep into the eyes of her father and you will see a glimmer of the pain I speak of. Think twice fellow boater. Because I shit you not that your boating days will be numbered. All your boating money will go to the wedding and that's just the start. A new couch will be more important than a new paddle to replace your 10 year old paddle. New dishes will replace weekend gas money. The guilt trips layed down will become more targeted. I only say this because I can not in good faith let a fellow boater get married without knowing the truth. But you will do what every man does in your situation. you'll get married and then in 10 years you'll realize the pain I speak of and remember this posting. Consider yourself warned. And all the luck in the world!
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2014   #4

up north, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbagkayaker View Post
What! You got to be kidding. Right! TP is in right now. DD, Sulivan, and climax are sweet! Most of the year there is something. Pack, lightning, grouse, shit creek, marble, lions head. That's the quick short list. If you can't find anything in upper Idaho then you are not trying. IMHO

And o my god... Don't do it! Marriage is for those who want to experience "TURE" pain. Not physical pain that makes you stronger but the kind of pain the hurts from the inside and steals from your sole! The kind of pain that no-one can fully explain. Look deep into the eyes of her father and you will see a glimmer of the pain I speak of. Think twice fellow boater. Because I shit you not that your boating days will be numbered. All your boating money will go to the wedding and that's just the start. A new couch will be more important that a new paddle. New dishes will replace gas money. I only say this because I can not in good faith let a fellow boater get married without knowing the truth. But you will do what every man does in your situation. you'll get married and then in 10 years you'll realize the pain I speak of and remember this posting. Consider yourself warned. And all the luck in the world!
You have obviously never met my GF because she probably out boats your bitter old ass. Plates are a non issue, the wedding will most likely be on the Selway with our friend as a minister so the permit cost will be the largest expense. As for having a young kayaker join our family I am willing to take a hit in boating time to rear a youngen and show them the ways of the river and the world. You are right about the runs you mentioned. I have done some of those and heard of about half, but I am REALLY fucking out their in my location. 40 min on dirt to hit a road that takes 30 more min to I90. In your parents case you may be right, I can see them having regret for ever creating such a loathing piece of shit. PEACE
Old 01-31-2014   #5

Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
I vote Missoula, your skin may be too thin for Portland.
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014   #6

Bazzaro, Free
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrobait View Post
You have obviously never met my GF because she probably out boats your bitter old ass.
Not likely! (-:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrobait View Post
In your parents case you may be right, I can see them having regret for ever creating such a loathing piece of shit. PEACE

Wow you are one classly dude! You sound just like I did when I was in your shoes. Hell, I too meet my wife on the river, got married at three rivers, and boated until.... wait for it... "we had kids..." I have seen this over and over. Just saying. Anyway even though I would not recommend marriage and you will wonder why you did it in the future. I wish you success and luck. Because its hard to make it in this world. And we all felt we meet the "one" when we got married.

I think I know you, just outside sandpoint? I think we may have mutual a friend in mister Jamison? maybe not!
Old 01-31-2014   #7

Bazzaro, Free
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriBri1 View Post

I think his skin is too thin for anywhere off the dirt roads. Just saying.
Old 01-31-2014   #8

Everywhere, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriBri1 View Post
I vote Portland, this young buck couldn't handle Montana and all her ninja prowess.
aaronraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014   #9

up north, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbagkayaker View Post
Not likely! (-:

Wow you are one classly dude! You sound just like I did when I was in your shoes. Hell, I too meet my wife on the river, got married at three rivers, and boated until.... wait for it... "we had kids..." I have seen this over and over. Just saying. Anyway even though I would not recommend marriage and you will wonder why you did it in the future. I wish you success and luck. Because its hard to make it in this world. And we all felt we meet the "one" when we got married.

I think I know you, just outside sandpoint? I think we may have mutual a friend in mister Jamison? maybe not!

Never met a mister Jamison. I'm a bit south of sandpoint. Sorry that whole marriage kids thing didn't work out for you, but I do know some very happy couples in thier 60's 70's and 80's that have had kids and very rich lives. They are my idols! especially my grand parents on my wife's side. who are 69 and 71 and still ski 100+ days a year together and until recently surfed in Costa Rica every year. What a fuckin' bummer that marriage has been!
Old 01-31-2014   #10

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
I'm trying to talk the wife into moving from Denver to Missoula. I've been researching the area and like what I see.
Swank is offline   Reply With Quote