Golden, Colorado
miss bailey is back

Detail Graph

Advertisement

Old 07-24-2008   #2

Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
Damn! I was thinking about it tomorrow. But wft, when is this going to level out again! Would be P R E T T Y interesting to be in there at what you thought was 450... and get a 800 cfs rush!!!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008   #3

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
'Boner- you still going tonight?

Git Sum.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2008   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Send a message via Yahoo to Rhodes
I will be at the take out tomorrow at 10 if anyone wants to meet up.
Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008   #5

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Hell yeah! Was looking forward to a fun day at 400ish cfs on bailey, but 600+ is way more fun.

This also make my weekend front range trifecta of blackrock, bailey, big south, that much more fun!
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008   #6

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Who wants to pop my Bailey cherry this Saturday? 800 cfs might be a little high for the first time.
goldcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008   #7

Indian Hills, Colorado
800 is not a bad first time level. four falls (not the first one) and deer creek actually clean up a bit but also gets juicier. the first part of the steeps is like a roller coaster. the only thing that gets much more difficult is supermax, and the bottom 1/2 is pretty scary looking. have fun i wish i were there.
Old 07-24-2008   #8

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Looks like its gonna settle just below 700. Great fun level!

Its a great first time level if you have your shit together and can read n run juicy IV+. It could also be a great level for your boat to run 2 miles of great waterwhiter solo while you hike out 4-5 miles to the takeout.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008   #9

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by crane View Post
800 is not a bad first time level. four falls (not the first one) and deer creek actually clean up a bit but also gets juicier. the first part of the steeps is like a roller coaster. the only thing that gets much more difficult is supermax, and the bottom 1/2 is pretty scary looking. have fun i wish i were there.
I think Bailey > 700 is a good first time level if you are comfortable with V- and competent to paddle V. I have swam 2 times on Bailey out of dozens of runs. Both were on the same day, approaching 800 cfs. Both were hole rides that I couldn't manage to roll up afterwards. A lot of that was due to my own roll lameness, but the big holes and pushiness made it hard to recover. One of the swims was in Deer Creek and it was fucking horrible.

I saw a guy from another group get his butt kicked on Four Falls that day, something I have never seen before. I have seen people screw it up plenty at lower levels, but at 775 that guy took a complete ass-beating as the price for grabbing too much of the entrance hole (for the normal start at fall #2) and then proceeding to mess the rest of it up while mostly upside down and out of control and finally swimming out of the hole at fall #4.

A lot of paddlers say Bailey is not much harder with water in it but they are probably really good and the kind of paddlers who swim once every two years. I am experienced (but just an average IV+/V- kind of guy who takes a few lame swims every season) and I have to say that it IS much harder with water in it. It is a lot more dangerous too.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008   #10
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I tend to agree with Ture. Bailey above 600 cfs is a super fun level, but not a good beginner level. I will agree that it doesn't get a LOT harder... I was expecting it be harder than it was, but it does get harder. I also confess the highest I ran it, somewhere around 800, I swam and it was a bad swim; really the only rough swim I've ever had. I would also say it was a bonehead manuever all around and I never should have swam - dropped in the seam of trashcan totally parallel due to major last minute indecision, mystery move, and then blew about 4 rolls that I feel like I should have been able to hit. But anyway, the point is, at lower water that wouldn't have happened to me.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bailey