Minimum level for Numbers?` - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-30-2007   #1

Golden Paddling Since: 2005
Minimum level for Numbers?`

What would you recommend as a minimum flow level to run The Numbers?

A subset of this question would be what level would you recommend for a first time run?

teletumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2007   #2

I've done it as low as 200. I would say 500-800 is the easiest time for a first timer to run. Starts getting good at 600. Only gets better as it gets higher (though it does start to get tougher between 1200 and 1500).

COUNT
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007   #3
gh

pnw, Colorado
It was all good yesterday. Hardly any push but lots o rocks. We will be running it again this week if you want someone to show you the lines. PM me if you are interested.
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2007   #4

Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
I know of folks who run it at 400 and really like it. Lowest I've ever done it is 700, but surprisingly that level had some of the best play I've had there.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007   #5

Focus on your own damn family, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
I ran Pine Creek(280)/Numbers(350) yesterday to celebrate GH's first pine Creek run. This is the lowest i've done either. The level was fine for an easy day on the Ark. I was trying out a Burn and put in right at Pine Creek rapid so I wasn't looking to get pushed around.

For minimums a lot of people are worried about the scraping on rocks factor. There was none of that. Five was entertaining enough that I ran it twice.

I agree with what Count said.
cbrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007   #6

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Another vote that it's good to go... yesterday was a ton of fun for me. There were more people out than I would have expected. We took out after #6. The last feature in the play park in BV was good too.

First time... I've only done it at 850, 750 and now 350. Overall, the lower flow was easier, but different. Definitely more technical, but time to make your moves. My first time was at 850 and thought it was a nice level. I hear it gets tougher over a grand. We took a first timer down yesterday and he had a great day.
lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007   #7

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
We took a 13' raft down pine/numbers yesterday (sun) and had a great time. A little low for a raft, but still nice to be on the river. I think it's all going to be going up from here on out.
eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007   #8

surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
one fitty and up

Believe it or not, 150 is a cool level in a play boat for pine and 1 thru 5. It has a creek boating feel and things can get interesting. However, it is good at any level. Whoever it was that proposed the Ark didn't deserve "Classic" status must have a broken helment from the dainbramage he's suffered. One simply need look upstream from the bridge at #4 during low water to see the classic boulder placements. Then come back and see it exploding in white at 2300.

Pine and the Numbers were a gas yesterday. Slicing slalom moves, catching every micro eddy to hone your skills and creativity, all the way down is a blast. 2300 cfs is when Granite thru 6 exudes it's truest Classic status. 4800 in Pine Creek is a mile of white line fever that will tied you over for years between those kinds of infrequent flows anymore. (Though, the North Fork of the Payette at 1800 is the place to find 16 miles of that kind of rush every year if desired.) To top it all off, the weather is often fantastic over here. This last weekend might possibly have been unbeatable, though we'll likely see many more of those days this summer. ) Cheers!
Ken Vanatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007   #9

on your sister, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie View Post
We took a 13' raft down pine/numbers yesterday (sun) and had a great time. A little low for a raft, but still nice to be on the river. I think it's all going to be going up from here on out.
Were you getting stuck much? Or was it more just careful but doable rock dodging?
tuberslickmysweatyballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007   #10

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
we got stuck a 3 or 4 times, but we had 6 mostly big guys in the boat. it would be great to r2 it in a little boat at that level. again, it was mostly just nice to be out. we took out after #5.
eddie is offline   Reply With Quote