mini-max for low water Yampa? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-12-2013   #1

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
mini-max for low water Yampa?

Guessing 800 - 1200cfs (early July).
Current plan is small (experienced) group with a few IKs, a 14' cat (or maybe 16' raft) lightly loaded (no passangers, no dutch ovens) and my mini-max for some help in spreading out the gear support weight. (I would be mostly in IK because I'm new to rowing; letting a more experienced rafter row the mini-max; he may not be IK friendly anyway.)
This would be the mini-max first multi-day. I've got a simple NRS longhorn frame (seat bar and foot bar) with an extra cross bar (got it for an extra seat). I do have a spare oar (no spare oarlocks).
I'm the least experienced but have IKed the Yampa at 2K and I think 7K, so I'm aware of Warm Springs (not the "new one").
See any red flags regarding the mini-max?
I know there is a four chamber rule; mini-max would have 4 if I left a thwart in -- does that count? (many IKs have only 3)
I am assuming I can put dry bags (soft) directly on the floor and rig to flip!
Any thoughts?
Thanks.

johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2013   #2

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Not exactly the same, but I took my Hyside 12 footer down Deso in early May at lowish water. Mine is the next size up from your Mini-Max. I use an NRS compact outfitter frame. I carried a small cooler, a dry box, and all my personal gear with no problem. If you keep the gear load in the Mini-Max conservative and balanced, you should be ok. Especially if you have an experienced person rowing it. You might want to use a cargo sling to raise the gear off the floor if the water level is really low. It will be a hoot for sure. I was worried about mine, but it performed great and was a ton of fun. Here's a pic from the trip.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013   #3

Jackson, Wyoming
I probably should have said Mini-Max is Hyside 10.5' x 5' with 18" tubes for those not familiar.
Thanks, C'girl -- maybe I will get a couple of small cargo slings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2013   #4

Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
Dino Yampa craft requirements

From the Dino permit brochure: See the "Other Inflatable Crafts". It looks like 3 chambers would work - Your 2 tubes and the floor make 3.
Watercraft Types and Quantity
Inflatable Rafts and Dories
If used on a private trip, the names of commercial river running companies on
watercraft must be covered for the duration of the trip.
Cataraft boats and inflatable rafts must have at least four separate chambers. Solo
2-chambered crafts are prohibited.
Rafts longer than 19 feet without frame and oars are prohibited.
Drift boats without secure, appropriate flotation or sealed chambers are prohibited.
Tying in some air mattresses does not meet this requirement.
Other Inflatable Crafts
Inflatable kayaks, packrafts, ‘shredders,’ paddlecats, ‘mini-mes,’or ‘stingers,’ with
three separate air chambers, designed for whitewater use, are approved for use in
the Monument. Craft must be made from robust materials like Hypalon, Urethane,

Neoprene, or PVC.
Old 06-12-2013   #5

Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
mini max

John,
I had my m-max rigged for an owyhee trip that never materialized.
Sounds like yours is set up like mine with the longhorn. I had most stuff up front and a couple smaller drybags in the back. There was also room in the rowers footwell for captain's bags to hang from the frame. I would have put a 6 gal water can up in the front to even out the load.
Have fun and take pics!
here's a pic of the unloaded setup. I took out the thwarts and added another crossbar in the front to hang a drop bag from for small cooler and gear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2569.jpg
Views:	2210
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	6428  
Old 06-12-2013   #6

Jackson, Wyoming
Ahh, I was looking at some older regs that did not contain the "Other Inflatable Crafts" section -- thanks for the update -- reminds me to copy the 2013 regs . Reading the 2013 regs like a lawyer (or ranger), as long as they count my mini-max as a type of mini-me, I should be good (or if they count a thwart as the 4th chamber of a not "other" raft; that seems a little less likely even though Hyside counts them in ther specs; their tandem Padillacs and mini-max have 5 chambers per Hyside.
Old 06-12-2013   #7

Sandy, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnovice View Post
I probably should have said Mini-Max is Hyside 10.5' x 5' with 18" tubes for those not familiar.
Thanks, C'girl -- maybe I will get a couple of small cargo slings.
I rowed from my dry box. I had my cooler (50 qt. Canyon Cooler) and my gear load in front of me with a cargo net over top. On either side of the cooler I had the smaller scepter water jugs. I didn't have anything in the space behind me. My load was very level with this set-up. The water level on my trip wasn't low enough to warrant suspending gear off the floor, and I had dry bags on the bottom. Have fun with the Mini-Max and post some pics.
Old 06-13-2013   #8

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1995
Marsh is good to captain the m-max. If needed. I have a feeling we'll all want to give it a whirl!
Goldwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013   #9

Sandy, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwolf View Post
Marsh is good to captain the m-max. If needed. I have a feeling we'll all want to give it a whirl!
No doubt..... the small boats are a blast to row. On Deso, I crested a big wave and had it break right on top of me. Soaked me good. Awesome!!! You might be arm wrestling for that boat after a few days. Good luck in Warm Springs. Remember.....pics or it didn't happen.
KJ
Old 06-13-2013   #10

Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
Floated my 2009 Mini-max with my 19 yr old son down the Gunnison Gorge for 3 days during the last week of May. While way overloaded in the back of the raft including a 30lb anchor, it handled like a champ. The salmonflies were hatching and all over the banks but the fish were not focused on the surface. Still caught a bunch of rainbows and browns with nymphs. Great trip.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2013-05-29 02.35.30.jpg
Views:	2194
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	6438   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0228.jpg
Views:	4852
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	6439  

Name:	DSCF0233.jpg