Million Green River Pumpback - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-08-2009   #1

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Million Green River Pumpback

The Army Corps is about to start scoping meetings for Million's project. The dates are:
1. April 14, 2009, 6:30 to 9 p.m., Green River High School, 1615 Hitching Post Drive, Green River, WY.
2. April 15, 2009, 6:30 to 9 p.m., Uintah High School, 1880 West 500 North, Vernal, UT.
3. April 16, 2009, 6:30 to 9 p.m., Laramie High School, 1257 North 11th Street, Laramie, WY.
4. April 20, 2009, 6:30 to 9 p.m., Fossil Ridge High School, 5400 Ziegler Road, Fort Collins, CO.
5. April 21, 2009, 6:30 to 9 p.m., West High School, 951 Elati Street, Denver, CO.
6. April 22, 2009, 6:30 to 9 p.m., Risley Middle School, 625 N. Monument Ave., Pueblo, CO.

American Whitewater - Public Scoping Announced for Green River Pumpback_

I happen to think that Kuhn's analysis, reported in HCN, is correct (How low will it go? — High Country News), so this project will almost guarantee a Lower Basin call at some point in the future - to say nothing of all the oil shale nonesense - which will start to turn our Western Slope communities into this: Murray-Darling Basin National Geographic Magazine

Go to a meeting, protest the project. Ft. Collins and Greeley don't need to spread ever more water on their bluegrass. We need that water in the river!

asleep.at.the.oars is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2009   #2

Little Village, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
It's a pretty crazy scheme. Thanks for calling attention to this.
Old 04-08-2009   #3

the fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I find the feasibility of this project very hard to believe. I haven't seen any c/b numbers, but I can't imagine it's gonna fly when the pencil hits paper. Fort Collins is mostly built out, and we are now renting excess water rights to farmers and irrigation companies and possibly capacity in our treatment plant to neighboring districts because of lack of demand from conservation and a need to make up revenue. Five years ago, I could have seen this happening but not now because the demand simply isn't there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2009   #4

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
When my family moved to Ft. Collins, we lived out at the edge of town - near Drake & Timberline. I can hardly find the place anymore. As long as there are fields, there will be new subdivisions. When Denver Water built Dillon reservoir, they didn't need that supply yet either. My point is that future growth will trump current conservation unless we force their hand. Don't count on logic to stop an Army Corps of Engineers project.
asleep.at.the.oars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009   #5

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by asleep.at.the.oars View Post
When my family moved to Ft. Collins, we lived out at the edge of town - near Drake & Timberline. I can hardly find the place anymore. As long as there are fields, there will be new subdivisions. When Denver Water built Dillon reservoir, they didn't need that supply yet either. My point is that future growth will trump current conservation unless we force their hand. Don't count on logic to stop an Army Corps of Engineers project.
Right, add in that it seems that public works administrators and engineers are hell bent on their plans, even if they don't mesh with the supposed needs. The problem is that by creating the resource (water where there is none), they are fostering development where it really isn't appropriate, because of the lack of resources and infrastructure. They build it, they come. It's a huge give-away from the public wealth (water) to the private developers, and in reality transfers wealth to the local government as they benefit (taxes) from the development. Local governments will fight for growth and development until they die. Hopefully CA, AZ, and NV get involved to prevent this.

But, hitting them with a roundabout, questioning the subsidy of development at the cost of "others" might be advantageous as an angle aside from just the water issue. CO is stealing wealth by taking water from the Green.
Old 04-08-2009   #6

the fort, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
Right, add in that it seems that public works administrators and engineers are hell bent on their plans, even if they don't mesh with the supposed needs. The problem is that by creating the resource (water where there is none), they are fostering development where it really isn't appropriate, because of the lack of resources and infrastructure. They build it, they come. It's a huge give-away from the public wealth (water) to the private developers, and in reality transfers wealth to the local government as they benefit (taxes) from the development. Local governments will fight for growth and development until they die. Hopefully CA, AZ, and NV get involved to prevent this.

But, hitting them with a roundabout, questioning the subsidy of development at the cost of "others" might be advantageous as an angle aside from just the water issue. CO is stealing wealth by taking water from the Green.
Ummmm, this is a private project. No municipality has anything to do with it so far. Also, I am an engineer and a public works administrator, and I would appreciate it if you'd stop with the generalizing.
Old 04-08-2009   #7

at my house, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dude View Post
Ummmm, this is a private project. No municipality has anything to do with it so far. Also, I am an engineer and a public works administrator, and I would appreciate it if you'd stop with the generalizing.
I'll keep generalizing if I like, because I think in general it is true. You may disagree.

Big deal if it is a private project? It still facilitates growth that isn't sustainable, whether that is people or crops and steals water from one place for another - kind of like funneling money from taxpayers to AIG's dudes.
Old 04-08-2009   #8

the fort, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
I'll keep generalizing if I like, because I think in general it is true. You may disagree.

Big deal if it is a private project? It still facilitates growth that isn't sustainable, whether that is people or crops and steals water from one place for another - kind of like funneling money from taxpayers to AIG's dudes.
I do disagree because you have no flipping idea what you're talking about. Guess I fail to see the logic of your analogy.
Old 04-08-2009   #9

Evergreen, Colorado
lhowemt - Unless technologies advance, I think we will reach a point where growth in Colorado is not sustainable. But I think it is important to look at where that growth comes from. Some of it is from people moving to Colorado from other states, or other countries, but a large part of it is from people having kids, and those kids staying in Colorado and having kids of their own. Should these people's kids be allowed to continue living in the state they were born in? Should we continue to allow people from other countries to move to this country? Should municipalities work to provide all of these people the water they need to live? Or should the municpalities and local government force people to use only the water they need to live, and not allow irrigation, or very limtied irrigation rights?

At what point do you stop trying to provide water for future generations of Coloradoans and force conservation? I don't believe that people will voluntarily conserve, just like they won't voluntarily agree to move out of the state, so someone elses kids can stay here.

Lastly, can you expound on your comment that Colorado is stealing water by taking if from the Green River. As far as I know, the upper compact states and lower compact states have an agreement that entitles Colorado to use that water for beneficial use.
gwheyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009   #10

at my house, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dude View Post
I do disagree because you have no flipping idea what you're talking about. Guess I fail to see the logic of your analogy.
Well, then all I have to say is you make my point. You don't understand my analogy and write me off as clueless without bothering to find out. Classic PW Admin.

Signing off this debate, I don't want to jack this thread (any more than we have) ...