Middle Taylor- please read - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-18-2010   #1
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
Middle Taylor- please read

Ok, so the latest in the ongoing battle is Shaw has just given his limited approval for commercial rafting. And he's doing this to try and hide the fact that he is doing something much more devious.

Last week, our beloved Duke Shaw had a meeting with the local law enforcement agencies in the valley. In short, Shaw was asking what his options were, down to the proper code of the law of our valley. After talking to the various agency reps, it was very quickly announced soon after that he would now allow the commercial trips. Yay. Wait. What about private boaters, you may ask. Well thats where we get fucked.

At this point Shaw is going to use the civial trespass option to try and go after private boaters. He's going to hire someone full time to sit by the river with a video camera in one hand and a direct line to the sherriff in the other. It will be that persons job to report people tresspassing, capture them doing it, and let the sherriff now. The goal isn't to physically stop anyone or even make an issue at the takeout. But the video recording, combined with the phoned in sherriffs report, will be enough evidence to probably fuck you and you will get the civil charges. And if you touch anything, well, then you just stepped into the criminal side of things.

I've been getting word from a lot of diffrent people regarding a protest of some kind, from both people in the valley and out. I just want to say right now, THAT THIS IS A TERRIBLE IDEA. Our Duke has shown that he is not willing to listen to reason, and at this point forcing the issue is only going to backfire and piss him off even more. Its just the fuel that he needs to make his fire even bigger, and make his case in the courts all that much more just. I know you all get your panties in the biggest bunches ever over issues like this, but the reality here is this situation may not be winnable in the next few years. It's going to take a lot of patient negotiations, and a lot of understanding on both parts. People will continue to float this stretch, and it is my hope that those people will continue to be polite, quiet, and hurry through the private property. Because it will be people like that, who show off how respectful we can be, that will start to turn the tide of opinion against us. Showing up with a hundred boats filled with drunk people screaming "this land is mine too, bitch" or other useless expletives, is going to paint us in the most unfavorable light possible and we will be shooting ourselves in the foot in doing so.

Sure, it may seem like a good idea when you live in Eagle, or Denver, or Pueblo, or Durango, when it's not in your backyard. But do realize that by doing something asanine like a mass float, its going to screw those of us who DO have it in our backyard. You wouldnt want people from out of town to jeopardize access to your local backyard run, so why would you do it to other people?

And my last point- I've also had a couple of people whisper in my ear regarding the truth to the rumour that people were planning to "burn Shaw's bridge" on the day that he shows off the property to all the big shot investors. I hope none of you on here are that retarded or short sighted, as this would be single handedly, the dumbest, worst thing that any of us could ever do. If you know someone who is thinking this, or you may suspect theyre part of the group behind it, immediately dish out the swift and harsh judgement for being a a toolbag.

So basic recap: New cameraman will watch the river and you will get civil tresspass charges, a mass float is a BAD IDEA, and you better not burn the bridge or we will fuck your shit up. END OF LINE

Advertisement

Old 05-18-2010   #2

The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
Good advice!
Old 05-18-2010   #3

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I'm sure your brilliant post is going to sway a lot of opions... When someone says "fuck" anything to me I stop listening and do exactly wut they don't want me to do. You make some valid points but the way you present them sucks. When you loose the right to float the middle Taylor don't you dare blame anyone other than sir lewis shaw. shit yeti, maybe you kiss a little more ass and get the cameraman job?
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2010   #4

The Road, Colorado
I also start to think that everyone "caught" by the cameraman justifies that camera man being there. What if no one went down and no one was caught? Would the camera man eventually go away? I know there are deep pockets behind this but how long would it take? What if after two weeks the cameraman was gone and then there was a flood of boaters?

I realize this is basically capitulating to Shaw's will and I also realize that this board is probably monitored by Shaw's interests...
Old 05-18-2010   #5

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
yeti, can you elaborate on how you learned of this meeting between Shaw and law enforcement? I have no idea if the meeting happened or not, but if you're hearing this third-hand, it seems like the sort of thing that could have started as a meeting between Shaw and the sheriffs, and by the time the story is told the third time the videotaping and Sheriff Hotline gets worked into the mix.
craven_morhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010   #6

gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
although this shaw guy sounds like a real grump i really kind of find it funny because the middle taylor only has like one class 2+ rapid. We got OB J, slate daisy, early bird, and the punch bowls like 20 miles away so the middle taylor is basically nothing. yeah it's messed up what hes doing but that section of water really isn't worth anything.
iseekcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010   #7

The Road, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by iseekcreek View Post
although this shaw guy sounds like a real grump i really kind of find it funny because the middle taylor only has like one class 2+ rapid. We got OB J, slate daisy, early bird, and the punch bowls like 20 miles away so the middle taylor is basically nothing. yeah it's messed up what hes doing but that section of water really isn't worth anything.
The real issues is the precedent it sets. What happens when land owners on OBJ, Slate, Early bird, the punch bowls follows his lead, not sure there is private land there but you get the point. What happens when the land owners on the numbers follows his lead? What happens if the city's decide they don't want the "liability" and decide to close off city parks?

MR
Old 05-18-2010   #8
SarahofTheWaves

FoCo,NoCo, Colorado
I have floated this stretch a few times. Not exactly sure where the disputed property is BUT

As a private boater I assume I can put-in and takeout without trespassing. If I do not touch the banks or the river bed along private property, that is currently, not trespassing. Noise notwithstanding, couldn't this be the way for private boaters to be legal along this stretch?
sarahkonamojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010   #9

The Road, Colorado
Sarah and anyone else that would like to get caught up on the issue please review the following thread: https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...ing-28731.html
Old 05-18-2010   #10

Leadvillian, Colorado
I like how every time an access issue pops up immediately all the insiders "in the know" chastise the unruly mob of mostly college educated private paddlers in our community not to do anything rash. Perhaps media attention and too many lawsuits to pursue is exactly what would deter Shaw and his investors. Lawsuits are expensive and wouldn't recoup much with many of us. I for one am down for the first river "critical mass". I'll be wearing my skivvies, a batman mask, and a pfd - naturally.
Matt J is offline   Reply With Quote