Middle School Trip - Mountain Buzz
 



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-21-2008   #1
bth
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 151
Middle School Trip

im a middle school teacher who guides commercially in colorado during the summer, and im getting ready to approach my school administration about starting the tradition of an 8th grade extended field trip on the river. the potential for using a river corridor for a classroom focusing on ecology, hydraulics, history, geology, etc. is too much to continue to ignore- and the kids i teach need more exposure to the outdoors.
what do you think would be the best stretch for such a trip? these are 8th graders (about 13 years old) and we're leaving from idaho springs. things that come to mind immediately are ruby/horsethief (although perhaps a bit too short and not real scenic), deso/gray, labyrinth and stillwater. i've never done labyrinth or stillwater.

ideas or advice, please??

bth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-21-2008   #2
 
boof512's Avatar
 
Teacher, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 323
give me a call at 970-691-3322
I should be able to help you out
thanks
patrick
boof512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008   #3
 
Salida, Colorado
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 133
bth,

If you need more info/help on the logistics/insurance liability part of it I may be able to help. I take students rock climbing, Mtn Biking, mountaineering, rafting/kayaking within my school district.

Rob
tress33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-21-2008   #4
 
Tabernash, Colorado
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 22
I do this yearly for a high school group and an 8th grade group. You must organize this trip commercially according to Colorado State Parks. I will PM you with details. That's great that you are doing this! I think all schools here in Colorado should encourage learning like this!
roxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008   #5
 
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 263
not a teacher or anything like that, but I commend you and your initiative.

You may already know of/use this, but if not, maybe this could help provide some needed $:

Adopt-A-Classroom
Jay H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008   #6
bth
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by tress33 View Post
bth,

If you need more info/help on the logistics/insurance liability part of it I may be able to help. I take students rock climbing, Mtn Biking, mountaineering, rafting/kayaking within my school district.

Rob
thanks, rob. i'd be interested in knowing about the liability/insurance side of things more than anything else. do you have a form that you might email to me?

bhochmuth at gmail dot com
bth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008   #7
bth
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy View Post
I do this yearly for a high school group and an 8th grade group. You must organize this trip commercially according to Colorado State Parks. I will PM you with details. That's great that you are doing this! I think all schools here in Colorado should encourage learning like this!
thanks!
since you organize it through the CSP, do you do something on the upper c?
bth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008   #8
 
Tabernash, Colorado
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 22
Yes, we float the Upper C and I know outfitters that will help in Utah too. I have info that pertains to insurance/liability as well and educational materials.

I love to help inspire lifelong love of rivers!
roxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008   #9
bth
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy View Post
Yes, we float the Upper C and I know outfitters that will help in Utah too. I have info that pertains to insurance/liability as well and educational materials.

I love to help inspire lifelong love of rivers!
hmmmm....this is all very interesting re:the need for a commercial river permit. unfortunately, one of the biggest hurdles to overcome would be the issue of cost- and therefore i worry about the costs associated with connecting a commercial outfitter (nothing against them- i work for one!) to what i see as more of a "field trip."

if there isnt a financial gain- i.e. trip costs are split among participants just as they are on any other private trip i've organized- why the need for a school to use a commerical permit??
bth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008   #10
Kjirsten
 
TakemetotheRiver's Avatar
 
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,479
It's not the commercial river permit you need but the commercial liability insurance which is typically more coverage than the average school district's insurance.

I co-lead an outdoor ed program for two years at my last school. We did mtn biking, rock and ice climbing, trail running and rafting. The rafting was the most difficult because of having to find a commercial outfitter that would volunteer resources for the cause. The company I worked for at the time did it, but we had to do a lot of fundraising to compensate him. The other components of the program were covered by local outfitters with liability insurance.

I took a group of the kids to Costa Rica as a culminating trip to raft, hike, etc. and not only did we have to sign on through a tour company, we had to pay for million dollar liability insurance for the kids. It was worth it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bth View Post
hmmmm....this is all very interesting re:the need for a commercial river permit. unfortunately, one of the biggest hurdles to overcome would be the issue of cost- and therefore i worry about the costs associated with connecting a commercial outfitter (nothing against them- i work for one!) to what i see as more of a "field trip."

if there isnt a financial gain- i.e. trip costs are split among participants just as they are on any other private trip i've organized- why the need for a school to use a commerical permit??
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Topic Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RiverGypsies Middle Fork Salmon trip report and photos! Leland Whitewater Kayaking 3 06-18-2008 12:49 PM
Middle Fork Trip Report deepsouthpaddler Whitewater Kayaking 11 05-29-2007 06:37 AM
Middle Fork Salmon Trip Reports? jaydrury Whitewater Kayaking 4 05-23-2007 05:34 PM
Trip report Middle Fork Salmon 5/16 to 5/20 carvedog Kayaking | Trip Planner 0 05-23-2007 05:32 PM
Costa Rica high school trip report and more... gohuge Whitewater Kayaking 0 11-13-2006 08:45 AM

» Classified Ads
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.