Middle Salmon in 1 day - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-09-2016   #1

Big Sky, Montana
Paddling Since: 1993
Middle Salmon in 1 day

Anyone know about doing the Middle in one day self support style? Saw a guy at Ship Island camp on day 5 this year running hard at about 17:30. Got inspired.

sbarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2016   #2

Denver, Colorado
We put in 46 miles in 6.5 hours of moving time with minimal paddling at 5.5'. I'm not sure why you would want to though. The rapids aren't that good/consistent, and it's a beautiful wilderness. Next time I'm in there 3 days was too fast...
ColoradoBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016   #3

Poundtown, Wokastan
Paddling Since: 2020
I've done it in one night. I had to wait on my shuttle. Right now with the long days if you hit the water at sun up I think you could get it done in the light??? I'm sure some cat boats have made speed runs too. I'll bet someone has done it in a day. Right now would be the time.
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2016   #4

Window Shade City, Out of Breath
Paddling Since: 2007
I did a 2-day trip last week when the river was at 4 feet. We had a fairly big group including one paddle raft. We did 67 miles the first day which took 11 hours. If I was solo or was with a small group of strong paddlers who didn't swim, stop, or have other difficulties I could have done it in 9 hours. At that rate, it would take about 14 hours to do the whole canyon at that water level. Definitely possible. However, it would be absolutely miserable. My last 20 miles of the first day were not fun, all I could think about at that point was getting out of my kayak and how sore I was. I would do the 2 day trip again, but will start earlier and take more breaks.
windriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016   #5

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
A couple years ago I rowed from Scout Camp to the takeout in ~24 hours at under 2'. Wasn't fun, or exciting, and I stopped at Sheep Creek for the night cause it was just too dark for me to see anything. Probably 18 hours on the water for 90 miles- 5 mph in a raft at low water.

So, in a fast boat I wouldn't think it would be too crazy to think you could go Boundary to Cache Bar or the Confluence takeout in a day, especially if you went at reasonable flows. 3-4' would be about ideal- everything's covered up, and nothing's too munchy or mean.
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016   #6
tew

Walt Blackadar ran it in one day in the 60's or 70's.
tew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016   #7

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2007
Lots of people have done it in kayaks. You want 6.5+ to make it a much shorter day. Plus the permits are easy to get as people cancel at those flows. I know a guy who did it with Marsh Creek, solo. Put on in the dark and arrived at Dagger at dawn. I know another guy who did it, solo from Boundary, turned the corner and ran the main the next day. I was suppose to be on that trip but last second could not make it. Scout Pistol for wood and blast on down. I can't confirm this but I did hear rumors of a guy running the Main and MF in a day back in 2009 when it went HUGE.

I just took off the MF this past Monday, did it 4 days and wish I had 2 more days on the water. It's one of those things I think it's worth doing once but very hard to get motivated to sit in a kayak for that long.
Aroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016   #8

the fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I have to be the one to ask "Why?".
Old 06-09-2016   #9

Poundtown, Wokastan
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dude View Post
I have to be the one to ask "Why?".
Because Its fun. When you bomb a run its all about the river. Nothing else. You'd think that one would be missing the beauty of the canyon but I might say that when focusing on the scenery one misses the essence of the river.
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote