Middle Fork Toilet/Invasive Sticker question - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 05-25-2013   #1

Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Middle Fork Toilet/Invasive Sticker question

I read something that I would like to clarify with you if I may.

1. We pick up an Aquatic Invasive sticker in the state but the boat is inspected at the put-in (Boundary) when the ranger is inspecting required equipment. Is this correct?

2. I have a Cleanwaste WAG bag toilet system with a large, air tight, ammo can to pack out waste. It sounds like this is only allowed for kayaks? After years of using this very effective system, I am shocked to hear that it is not allowed. I am curios if this is true and why? I can't see a single reason for prohibiting this system for rafters but allowing it for kayaks. I don't currently have another system but if I need to get one, I need to know.

Thank you!

galljr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2013   #2

vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by galljr13 View Post
I read something that I would like to clarify with you if I may.

1. We pick up an Aquatic Invasive sticker in the state but the boat is inspected at the put-in (Boundary) when the ranger is inspecting required equipment. Is this correct?

2. I have a Cleanwaste WAG bag toilet system with a large, air tight, ammo can to pack out waste. It sounds like this is only allowed for kayaks? After years of using this very effective system, I am shocked to hear that it is not allowed. I am curios if this is true and why? I can't see a single reason for prohibiting this system for rafters but allowing it for kayaks. I don't currently have another system but if I need to get one, I need to know.

Thank you!
You can go online and buy the stickers. They will mail them to you. I would not wait until in Idaho to get them. We briefly drove into Idaho on the way to the owyhee and they had a checkpoint

My boat was thoroughly inspected at the Putin for the MF. In years past they didn't give two shits if you had the sticker as they are federal. Although an obvious spot for a "man you are screwed" checkpoint is at North Fork gas, ice cream (and donut) shop
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013   #3

Nosebleed, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
What slamkal said about getting the sticker mailed--takes 5 minutes.

Inspection--if you see a check station on the way to Boundary, stop and have them check your boats. They have the equipment to clean them (free and they do all the work) if there is a problem. The station inspectors will give you a clean boat certificate you can show the ranger at boundary and you are good to go--done in 5-20 minutes depending on if they clean your boat. Much easier process than dealing with it at the ramp!
funrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2013   #4

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by funrivers View Post
What slamkal said about getting the sticker mailed--takes 5 minutes.

Inspection--if you see a check station on the way to Boundary, stop and have them check your boats. They have the equipment to clean them (free and they do all the work) if there is a problem. The station inspectors will give you a clean boat certificate you can show the ranger at boundary and you are good to go--done in 5-20 minutes depending on if they clean your boat. Much easier process than dealing with it at the ramp!
+1 on getting the stickers online. You'll get it in the mail about a week after you order.
Whenever I take my raft up to Idaho inflated on the trailer, I stop at the checkpoint just over the Utah/Idaho border for a check and to get my paperwork. So far I've never needed a cleaning, so the process was quick. If your boats are deflated and packed on a trailer, I guess you'll have to get them checked at the put-in. So far at Corn Creek (Main Salmon) and Indian Creek (Middle Fork) the rangers have just checked to make sure we have the tags. No detailed inspection of boats that I recall.

No one has addressed your Cleanwaste/Wag bag question. I would imagine if you show them a hard sided, sealable, cleanable container of the proper size for your group (rocket box or gamma bucket) the wag bags would be a moot point. Just show them your container, and if that passes muster then don't even mention the bags. But if you only have the PETT/Cleanwaste toilet, and smaller transport containers for the used bags, you might run into trouble? Best to check ahead with the ranger station. If I were to ever try the wag bags, I would use them with my gamma buckets.....one bucket in use at camp, one bucket for transport of the used bags.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013   #5
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
I haven't seen or heard of an inspection of the boat at the put in by USFS.

They have been fairly adamant about having the stickers but that was all I saw.

Seems like a few years ago PETT systems or WAGs were ok but two years ago that seemed to change. Pretty weird that there must be millions of tons of nasty cat shit that gets put into landfills every day but a few hundred pounds of human waste here and there can't happen???? Shaking my head, face palm but it's the gummint so what can you do.
carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013   #6

vancouver, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by carvedog View Post
I haven't seen or heard of an inspection of the boat at the put in by USFS.

They have been fairly adamant about having the stickers but that was all I saw.

Seems like a few years ago PETT systems or WAGs were ok but two years ago that seemed to change. Pretty weird that there must be millions of tons of nasty cat shit that gets put into landfills every day but a few hundred pounds of human waste here and there can't happen???? Shaking my head, face palm but it's the gummint so what can you do.
They grilled me in detail about where my boat had been, what other rivers I had been on., how long since in water, and what steps I took to clean it. Then the girls ran their fingers gently up and down along my zipper and carefully searched for object growth or anything that looks like it could be invasive. My tubes are 18' so it felt like quite the lengthly ordeal. I kept trying to keep my mind focused on other things --- like did I leave the shuttle money in the truck, etc but my mind kept wandering back to the upcoming launch. Took about 5 minutes and just like that, bam, done.

One big benefits of having the Aire system
Old 05-26-2013   #7

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1979
Quote:
Thank you!
Seems rather than having to buy another toilet system, an easy solution is to use your "large, air tight ammo can" as your groover, without bags, easily cleaned at a SCAT machine. All you need to add is a toilet seat and some portable toilet chemical treatment.
The Grand Canyon won't allow the use of WAG bags (except for hiking/day use) as well, probably due to the fact that everyone was overwhelming the first dumpster they came to after the take-out with plastic bags full of shit.

Maybe the reason that kayakers are allowed to use the WAG bag system is related to the sheer volume of rafters as opposed to kayakers.
briandburns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013   #8

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
e pick up an Aquatic Invasive sticker in the state but the boat is inspected at the put-in (Boundary) when the ranger is inspecting required equipment.
Thanks for the reminder. After reading this thread, I bought mine online. Painless.

The USFS people at Boundary will ask some questions about where you have been boating and decide weather or not your boat warrants further inspection.
Old 05-26-2013   #9

vancouver, Washington
Required in Oregon and Idaho. Separate tags. Not sure why there can't just be a federal one that encompasses all jurisdictions

Wait that would be federal overreach (rolleyes), and federal is bad!!!

Now Wa just needs to implement one so I can have a three state tag trifecta!!!
Old 05-26-2013   #10

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamkal View Post
Required in Oregon and Idaho. Separate tags. Not sure why there can't just be a federal one that encompasses all jurisdictions

Wait that would be federal overreach (rolleyes), and federal is bad!!!

Now Wa just needs to implement one so I can have a three state tag trifecta!!!
Yep. I'm surprised that Utah hasn't joined this party yet. Maybe some of the revenue could go towards Utah's first Scat machine. I can dream big can't I?
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote