Middle Fork Salmon State Land Camp Info Needed - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 05-31-2009   #1

Middle Fork Salmon State Land Camp Info Needed

Does anyone have any information regarding the amount of use that the airstrip gets next to State Land camp on the Middle Fork Salmon? Is the camp noisy/annoying because of that? It is proposed as a lay over camp on an upcoming trip I am going on. Thanks

ronsonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2009   #2

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
This landing strip is used mostly by the Middle Fork Lodge and by hunters in the fall. It is usually not too busy. There are better spots to layover but that is decided at the whim of the Middle Fork check in crew.
Wadeinthewater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009   #3

Thanks for the reply, one of the problems is what you said, where the rangers let you layover is what you get, last time I went we ended up with a very marginal site. Where would you layover if you had the opportunity, knowing what you know about which sites might be allowed for such? ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2009   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
We stayed at stateland right on my last river trip. The airstrip does get a good amount of use - it's not terrible, but it does take away from the wilderness experience IMHO. The camp itself is beautiful - huge pine trees, lots of space.

If I got to choose any camp to layover at, it would probably be Hospital Bar. Being a hot springs camp, you'd be pretty unlikely to get that though. Last time I was there, we lined the 12-foot paddle boat with a tarp, constructed some hot spring diversions with paddles and another tarp - making a riverside hot tub (much bigger than the tiny pool on the sand bar).

I think that the Wollard Creek camp would be a great layover spot. It's a huge camp in a beautiful part of the canyon, there is some hiking opportunity from there, and a cliff jump right next to camp.
davedlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009   #5

Thanks for the info, I talked with someone who thought Sate Land right is nicer than State Land left. I've camped at Hospital Bar it is nice but doubt that it will be allowed as a layover. Don't know about Wollard Creek, 2 years ago the USFS was very restrictive on where we could layover, IMO our layover camp (Sheep Creek) was not good for that.
Old 06-01-2009   #6
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsonn View Post
Thanks for the info, I talked with someone who thought Sate Land right is nicer than State Land left. I've camped at Hospital Bar it is nice but doubt that it will be allowed as a layover. Don't know about Wollard Creek, 2 years ago the USFS was very restrictive on where we could layover, IMO our layover camp (Sheep Creek) was not good for that.
State Land Right is a great camp. Great shade. Great hiking on the benches up above the camp. Really nice Pitchfork tree just upstream a couple hundred yards or less, from the main camp. Go find it, it is a really weird looking freak of nature. Never thought to lay over there, but it is one fine camp.

Unless you are going high season there really isn't that much air traffic there. If it is low water there might be some trips flying in that don't want to go from Indian for what ever reason.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009   #7

Boise, Idaho
Take a look at Lost Oak. Its on a high bench so you will need to hike your gear a ways up but its worth it if you are laying over. FS has never given us much flak about it because it is a lower use camp(depends on when your trip is). Good hiking upstream towards Marble and downstream towards MF lodge and Thomas creek. You are an easy ferry across the river from Sunflower. As an added bonus, you have a great view of the bikini traffic across the river.
lower7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009   #8

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Our favorite

We always layover at Rock Island on our late season, low water trips. Good fly fishing spots, some hiking, good shade, and an osprey nest across the river. At low water you can wade across to Whitey Cox for hot spring.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009   #9

Thanks for the replies and advice we are putting on Sat 6/13 I'll present the info to the group.