Middle Fork Salmon Camp Site - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-16-2013   #1

williams, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1984
Middle Fork Salmon Camp Site

Can/ does anyone have information about Saddle Camp at mile 9.7. Pictures or any particular like take-out and level above river. USFS says "can be wet" info on this too. Thanks

ultrasquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2013   #2

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrasquare View Post
Can/ does anyone have information about Saddle Camp at mile 9.7. Pictures or any particular like take-out and level above river. USFS says "can be wet" info on this too. Thanks
Is that an official campsite?

http://www.whitewatercampsites.com/M...lmon/index.php
Old 06-16-2013   #3

williams, Oregon
Yes it is

This site is in the official map and is listed on the forest services web page of "river camps on the middle fork of the salmon river"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2013   #4

stanley, Idaho
Yeah it's a camp. It's on river left right and the tail of a flat stretch before to bends right.

Don't have pics for you but it's a pretty good camp. It's got a big pine off the bank about 20ft. It's got tall grass.

I've seen bigger groups there 15-20. I would say it can fit 12 if you all don't have 1 tent per person. In low water there will be a gravel bar in front. Not a bad pack, nothing like trail in low water.

Hope that helps.
idahoriverguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013   #5

stanley, Idaho
Also on the 'wet' front: it can be marshy there, with this summer as dry as it is, I think that wont be an issue.

That all said, I haven't stayed there. I've had guides with other outfitters stay there and say it's pretty nice.
Old 06-17-2013   #6

williams, Oregon
Thanks for info/Pistol question

Thanks Idahoriverguide. We have a projected 2.1 ft launch. We were thinking about staying at fireIsland 1st night, but due to the level and not flying gear into indian were looking at a shorter day. Do you think Pistol can support 8 tents (3 are large 8x any more, and have they cut any of the dead trees.
Old 06-17-2013   #7

stanley, Idaho
Pistol doesn't have a ton of room, go down to Airplane, it's pretty open and no burned trees. It's only about a mile down (left side), or just camp at Indian and enjoy the outhouse!

Saddle is a good camp it's just small and could be wet. I would shoot for Scout or Fire Island, FI is pretty black and the big pondo out front feel a few years back. Scout has plenty of room for your group, plus you can walk to sheepeater and soak your bones after a long day on the top-end. Don't worry about being loaded, you'll be fine. Don't rig anything on the floor, suspend it so the weight is on the tubes, keep your floor soft and if you're going to ground out push and get some momentum, you'll thank me later!

Have a good time.
Old 06-17-2013   #8

williams, Oregon
Thanks again. Well go to fire island (we prefer this camp) easy hike back to sheepeaters. My wife and fisher men want to stay at Pistol, Or maby well push to Oak for a layover.
Old 06-17-2013   #9

williams, Oregon
Oh I see what your saying FI "fire Island is black"... will reconsider this too.
Old 06-17-2013   #10

stanley, Idaho
I also meant fell not feel! haha, have a great trip, don't let the low water scare ya!