Middle Fork of the Salmon, anyone able to trade permit dates??? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 02-07-2012   #1

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Middle Fork of the Salmon, anyone able to trade permit dates???

So...I successfully got a permit for the Middle Fork for May 28 and was wondering if anyone out there A) got a successful lotto permit for May 30, 31, June 1 or 2 and B) would be willing to trade for my May 28 permit

I know its a longshot, but trading is apparently OK with the permit office. I'm hoping to trade 'cause I graduate from medical school on the 25 and won't make any of the post grad festivities if I launch on the 28. If anyone could help it would be much appreciated!!!

almostwednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2012   #2

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Those dates usually open up due to high water cancellations.
Old 02-07-2012   #3

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Trade allowed? That's insane, not allowed, never, no way no how. You'd have to cancel and hope you can pick up a cancellation. And WTF is with people putting in for permits on dates that don't work for them?????
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2012   #4

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Then the woman I talked to at the permit office didn't give me the right info. Good to know that launch dates open up. Thanks for the info.
almostwednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012   #5

Unless something changed this year, you can not transfer your permit to anyone else. You turn it back in, then recreation.gov posts it as an available date within a few days. The good news is that all of the dates you want will almost certainly become available as the summer nears. I have picked up mid June cancellations three years in a row, usually 3-4 weeks from launch. Usually people watch the flows come up, get nervous and turn their permit back in. I know everyone thinks this is going to be a low water year but the snowpack predictions are actually pretty optimistic for the salmon drainage.

So if you have the flexibility of several launch dates and don't mind checking the permit page once a day, you should have no problem picking up a permit for the first week of June.
mcfarlandandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012   #6

Idaho Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1970
A few years back my daughter applied for, and won a MFS permit. She did not know she was pregnant when she applied and her doctor would not let her go (July). The Forest Service, with a note from her doctor, allowed her to transfer the permit to an usuccessful applicant (me).

I would be surprised if, however, swapping a permit would be allowed. Convenience, or schedule issues is a bit different from (unknown) medical complications.
lyhfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012   #7

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
Last year I had a friend that was forced to cancel a main permit and I was lucky enough to pick it up. I called recreation.gov for other reasons but asked about permit trades and swaps, just for the fun of it. I was told by the woman that if my friend had called to cancel, she could have handed the phone over and I could have grabbed it then.
I didn't/don't believe it, but it seems that the operators think it can be done.
SALRVRRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012   #8
Cpt. No Scout

In a Van, Down By the River
Paddling Since: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
Those dates usually open up due to high water cancellations.

Don't count on that this year. Spring is setting in right now and there aint much snow up there. I'm gana go out on a limb and say. The mfs wont hit 5.0 feet this year.. Its gona start early and we are going to have the first spring season in 4 years.

Get your sunglasses out!
idahofloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012   #9
Cpt. No Scout

In a Van, Down By the River
Paddling Since: 91
Last year my cusins' gril friend drew a 6/27 permit. She didn't want to go due to high water. They wound NOT transfer the permit to anyone in our group. We had to wait for her to drop the permit and we got it back on a cancellation. We were the only party to launch that day..
idahofloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012   #10

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
it's case by case. legit unforeseen medical issues(like lyhfamily's) or emergencies ,death's in the family,ect and you have a good chance of getting some mercy.

partying like a rock star for a few days after graduating college? not so much.

that said, it doesn't sound like the rangers,ect know their asshole from a hole in the ground these days from the over-the-phone info they seem to be handing out on the mfs and selway so......might be worth a try.
upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote