Middle Fork of the Salmon - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-12-2004   #1

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Middle Fork of the Salmon

I have a permit for the Middle Fork and I need any information out there, good camp sites, good play spots, good hiking, shuttle services, maps, etc.
thanks!

Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2004   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
First of all, congratulations.
The Middle Fork is maybe the best trip you could take in the lower 48. I've never done it, but know lots who have - had a permit last year for early season, but the river exploded - twice normal level, and we had to bag the trip - too dangerous.
And that's the key to your questions. When is your launch window? Because that will determine everything from where you put in and how your shuttle is to what the river is like. In the early season, you may need an airplane shuttle because roads are snowed in, or you may have to put in on Marsh Creek near Stanley and run that to get to the middle fork.
Get online - maybe try IOGA.org, and pick an outfitter that runs the Middle Fork. Call them up and they'll have info for you - most of them are pretty cool.
Have fun.
Id725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
First of all, congratulations.
The Middle Fork is maybe the best trip you could take in the lower 48. I've never done it, but know lots who have - had a permit last year for early season, but the river exploded - twice normal level, and we had to bag the trip - too dangerous.
And that's the key to your questions. When is your launch window? Because that will determine everything from where you put in and how your shuttle is to what the river is like. In the early season, you may need an airplane shuttle because roads are snowed in, or you may have to put in on Marsh Creek near Stanley and run that to get to the middle fork.
Get online - maybe try IOGA.org, and pick an outfitter that runs the Middle Fork. Call them up and they'll have info for you - most of them are pretty cool.
Have fun.
Id725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2004   #4

Middle Fork

I had a June 12th launch last year on the MF and it was a great trip. We did seven days on the river and wanted more. I would recommend researching on the internet and talking to as many people as you can who've run the river. We were lucky to catch it last year at a medium high level but higher would definitely be better. I'm sure the character of the river changes quite a bit at lower flows (later in June, July, Aug.) The first 30 miles or so to Indian Creek really move at higher water and keep you on your toes. Every campsite we had was perfect and you can't beat the hot springs. You'll have a blast!
jester is offline   Reply With Quote