MFS at just under 2' (paging carve dog)

Any info is appreciated.

royaldouchebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2011   #2

vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
Plenty of posts on this. Very doable down to 1.6. I've done 2.1 and it was not hard at all.

Keep your tubes soft, pack light, expect to do a lot of maneuvering, and there will probably be a few spots you will get hung up on before pistol. Have fun i'm jealous
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011   #3

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamkal View Post
Plenty of posts on this. Very doable down to 1.6. I've done 2.1 and it was not hard at all.

Keep your tubes soft, pack light, expect to do a lot of maneuvering, and there will probably be a few spots you will get hung up on before pistol. Have fun i'm jealous
Sorry for the redundant post. I only looked through a few pages and hadn't been on the site for a bit. Thanks for your input. I'm really looking forward to the trip and will run through those other threads.
royaldouchebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2011   #4
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Sir Douchebag,
I was not ignoring your page, but I was attending to important meetings with Cutthroat trouts, whitewaters and sandy beaches (at least the last night).

I have seen folks (some really experienced big water folks) really get their ass handed to them on the upper 20. And also total rowing newbies make it down just fine.

I wouldn't miss it for the world. Also I am lazy. I would rather get stuck 10 times than make 20 trips up and down the ramp at Indian.

Pm away. When is your date? Jealous already.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011   #5

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by carvedog View Post
Sir Douchebag,
I was not ignoring your page, but I was attending to important meetings with Cutthroat trouts, whitewaters and sandy beaches (at least the last night).

I have seen folks (some really experienced big water folks) really get their ass handed to them on the upper 20. And also total rowing newbies make it down just fine.

I wouldn't miss it for the world. Also I am lazy. I would rather get stuck 10 times than make 20 trips up and down the ramp at Indian.

Pm away. When is your date? Jealous already.

20 trips up & down the ramp at Indian Creek???????.......dude, you're doing something wrong. Assemble boats up top, move them to the ramp, load all your stuff in them, slide them down the ramp, unload some of the stuff, and move them to the water. Done. One trip, maybe two at the most to carry down some personal gear to camp.
We'll be flying in to Indian Creek in two weeks. Should be a great water level. 1.5 feet is our cut-off level.
Have a great trip.
KJ
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011   #6

pocatello, Idaho
So if you are already flying in why have a cutoff flow? i can't imagine it being too low below indian The big problems are chutes and the like up top.

I have a permit for 9/30 the latest I have ever tried to go. If I can get the wifey on board for my 3rd trip of the year I am looking forward to an awesome fall float.
fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011   #7

Sandy, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiya79 View Post
So if you are already flying in why have a cutoff flow? i can't imagine it being too low below indian The big problems are chutes and the like up top.

I have a permit for 9/30 the latest I have ever tried to go. If I can get the wifey on board for my 3rd trip of the year I am looking forward to an awesome fall float.
Below 1.5ft. can be problematic even below Indian Creek. You can get stuck plenty below Indian Creek, even at 1.9 ft. if you aren't paying attention. The lowest I have gone is 1.6 ft. but the group I float with doesn't like to go below 1.5ft.
KJ
Old 08-28-2011   #8

pocatello, Idaho
Interesting. I only have 1 run above 2' and that was this year at 6'. My first was 1.6 and thought it would go significantly lower off the top, which it does. I suppose it would be posible to get stuck below indian creek but I can't think of a really tough section.
All the better for me to get permits I guess! have fun.
fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011   #9

Sandy, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiya79 View Post
Interesting. I only have 1 run above 2' and that was this year at 6'. My first was 1.6 and thought it would go significantly lower off the top, which it does. I suppose it would be posible to get stuck below indian creek but I can't think of a really tough section.
All the better for me to get permits I guess! have fun.

We never get a permit in the lottery, and now you can't get cancellations after August 15th. So we'll just stick to our September trips. We usually go the first or second week in September. Trust me, there are plenty of places to get stuck below Indian Creek......Been there & done that. One that comes to mind is the shallows right before Rock Island. Have fun in late September. You should have the river mostly to yourself. Dress warm !!!!!!!!
KJ
Old 09-06-2011   #10

steamboat springs, Colorado
just got off 7 days from the top. MF gauge read 2.03 on Day 1 and was down slightly to 1.9 something by the time we passed the gauge a few days later.

The water was low, but nothing drastic. Several boats in the pod kept very deflated floors which seemed to really help us skim over gravel beds and submerged boulders. We kept our tubes tight.

No carnage to report, although I'd agree that a wrong turn or some bad luck could result in some serious riverside stitching practice. Pistol was actually the most memorable rapid at this level, along with the Chutes and of course Cramer. We ran Tappan 2.5 (the rapid immediately following Tappan Falls) on the far left, which differed from our September run two years ago which was a center to right run between the two wrap rocks (right of the first, left of the second).

As for going light, we flew in a bunch of beer and booze (maybe 700 beers?), but otherwise carried everything we'd carry on a desert float (good food, lots of beer, lots of water, full frames, tables, propane bombs, etc.) and were fine...but of course, that could have just been pure luck.
3d3vart is offline   Reply With Quote