MF Salmon and Selway info? - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-06-2013   #1

Waverly, Alabama
Paddling Since: 1999
MF Salmon and Selway info?

Howdy Mtn buzzers,
I'm looking for some beta on running the MF Salmon and Selway rivers this coming June. My crew and I landed a permit for the MF launching June 17th and then a Selway launch for a week later, on June 24th. Judging from some of the comments in the 4 rivers thread below I figured I might get some flack for being so damn lucky; but don't hate on a brother for being lucky!

Anyway, I've got a few issues/ questions that I was hoping some of ya'll could help me with. The first is what to expect with linking these up? How long is the shuttle from the takeout of the MF to the put-in of the Selway. Would we be able to take 6 days (june 17-22) for the MF and then reload and travel to the Selway on day 7 (23rd) in order to set ourselves for a Selway launch on day 8 (24th)? Would it be better to try and knock out the MF in 5 days?

All of this wll also depend on how we do shuttle, which I'm sure we'll hire out for. So thats my second question: who would ya'll recommend for an outfitter? I came to this board looking for a GC outfitter a couple years back and ya'll pointed me to Brady at Moenkopi (which was the perfect choice!), so I was hoping ya'll would do the same with this. Any favorites? I'm not sure if we're going to do our own food or hire out, which company's got the best cost/value deal on food prep? I'm also not sure what, if any, gear we'll need; but I'm sure we'll need an outfitter that does rigs and gear as well.

My final question is about guide books? What are the best river guides to the MF and Selway?

I think thats about it. Thanks in advance for any helpful comments and/or suggestions.

Andrew

agunnoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2013   #2

Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
June 17 on the MF....5 days should be no problem.

Brady is the man.
BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013   #3

Bazzaro, Free
Paddling Since: 2020
I you can float out the MFS in 2 days that time of year. If you get off corn by 10am you can be drinking beers by 4pm at paradice if the roads are clear. But hold on a bit here. Its not totally uncommon for both put ins to snowed over that time of year. There still is alot of winter to be had up there. I got invited on a MFS 6/20/11 and had to put in on marsh creek. I have also been snowed out on the selway but not that late in June. Just depends on what happens in the next couple months.
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2013   #4

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
How long is the shuttle from the takeout of the MF to the put-in of the Selway. Would we be able to take 6 days (june 17-22) for the MF and then reload and travel to the Selway on day 7 (23rd) in order to set ourselves for a Selway launch on day 8 (24th)? Would it be better to try and knock out the MF in 5 days?

I did the MFk/Selway combo last year. We took two nights between although I think one might be enough. Stayed in Darby the first night http://www.travellersrestmt.us/, resupplied and washed clothes. It is about 3 hours from Cache Bar on the Middle Fork to Darby. The second night we stayed at the Selway put in although you could drive from Darby (about 3 hours) and launch the same day.

All of this wll also depend on how we do shuttle, which I'm sure we'll hire out for.

No qestion on the Selway - http://selwayshuttles.com/

On the Middle Fork many people like - http://www.blackadarboating.com/

So thats my second question: who would ya'll recommend for an outfitter?
I came to this board looking for a GC outfitter not sure if we're going to do our own food or hire out, which company's got the best cost/value deal on food prep?

There is not the same infrastructure for Idaho river trips as there is for the Grand Canyon. The Grand Canyon is year round while Idaho has a much sorter season which makes it tougher to run a business. I have heard of an outfit that does food packs (search the Buzz or the Idaho Whitewater Yahoo group) but they may or may not be in business. I'll bet Blackadar could set you up.

I'm also not sure what, if any, gear we'll need; but I'm sure we'll need an outfitter that does rigs and gear as well.

You need to invite someone who has most of the gear (my hand is up!)

My final question is about guide books? What are the best river guides to the MF and Selway?

Middle Fork - http://www.mattlphoto.com/books.html or http://www.amazon.com/Middle-Fork-Main-Salmon-Map/dp/B002C00OGG/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1360196188&sr=8-3-fkmr0&keywords=middle+fork+salmon+guide+book

Selway - http://www.amazon.com/Guide-to-the-Selway-River/dp/B0016LUU48/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1360196243&sr=1-1-fkmr1&keywords=selway+river+guide+book
Old 02-06-2013   #5

Lardo, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1998
Selway beta

I would say take your time and do 6 days on the mf at high water, easy days, lots of time for hiking and exploring. Then just take out, shake out yer shit at north fork and drive over the hill to the selway. If you are going to hire out for your shuttle I would definitely use Karen Kidd, she is a wonderful local from Darby that has helped me out a ton in the past, including last year when our trailer tire blew up and caught on fire. She uses a bunch of old ranch hands that love that country and like to drive nice n slow, perfect shuttle drivers. As far as food goes I would just do it yourself, I work commercially up there on the selway and we shop and pack our trips food in about 2.5 hours in Missoula or Hamilton.

The drive from the MFS takeout to Conner, Mt, the turn at west fork road for the selway would be about 3-3.5 hours after you do garbage and groover. The ride into the selway takes about 2.5 hours, i think, i am so glad to be heading in by that point that I have never taken account of the actual time. I launched on the selway last year on June 21st for a private trip and it was 3.2ft @ paradise and when we got to moose juice doubledrop was huge. We had two super sketchy micro bursts come through after Ham rapid that almost dropped a 100ft ponderosa on my raft but it luckily went behind me then proceeded to chase me down the river while 30 other trees were exploding all around us and coming hauling ass down into the river, it was quite the show! and thank god those trees didn't jam in Ladle. As far a guide books go I have the RiverMaps book, and it does a pretty good job. If you would like some more info on rapids, flow, camps or hikes feel free to PM me, I have been down the Selway 20 some times and have learned that river very well.
Old 02-06-2013   #6

nashville, Tennessee
Paddling Since: 1987
Hey Lucky, your post drove me to jpoin the site..I just had two unsuccessful attmpts at MF and selway..and Congrats!! or your luck and go get a lotto tik huh?
So, I am in Nashville after 10 yrs in boise and still have a place there. if you are entertaining additional boaters I would humbly ask for interview! Have a 14 cat in boise and a 16' aire here. have run MF 5 times..selway 0. agree with other posts that snow could be something to deal with..should not be a prob for MF to put on Marsh though. if you are up for discussion..happy to meet and boat on plateau or other..or jus beers! BRO!
reelrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013   #7

nashville, Tennessee
Paddling Since: 1987
So shuttles...I have a friend in Salmon with well established shuttle service as an option..for sure on MF and Selway from other..food is pretty easy too..beer is the heavy..
reelrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013   #8

boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2006
Good news, I have enough groover space and kitchen for 25 people! AND I can drive up to the Selway, bring you a recharge of water, food and beer AND run rescue for your group in my cataraft!

WHOA! you might say, thats all our group needs for a super trip!

But there's more!

Im also a Firefighter / Paramedic / Swiftwater rescue guy with a satellite phone and a tendency to have a good time!

You know where to get ahold of me too! PM me!
fireman9500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013   #9
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Both accesses will be open no problem. You lucky bastard. Not a hater, I am doing both as well but earlier. Have a ball.

The FS typically plows the road open over Nez Pearce pass around May 15th. Unlike the MF rangers they budget for it and actually do it.

The a-hole ranger who did not plow the last two years on the MF did so because he wanted to let the camps 'rest' some more. Even though it is budgeted, allocated and planned for.

dirtbag - if you put in on Marsh Creek on 6/20/11 it was only because you wanted to. We opened the pass on the evening of 6/14 and it was totally clear two days later. So they tell me.
carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013   #10

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
The cool thing would be to have a person who lives near North Fork /Salmon with a big ass van and trailer to join you for the Selway section. He could run shuttle and then just pay for the shuttle back to north fork. All other vehicles get shuttled from BOUNDARY to the takeout on the Selway and avoid the extra shuttling costs

I guess this works better for the combined middle/main