MF Drinking Water Question - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-23-2010   #1

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
MF Drinking Water Question

We're putting in on the MF Salmon in about a week, 1st time and I am super stoked!

Since its my 1st time, I have a question about water-
What is the water quality this time of year? is it full of debris?

I ask because I have a Katadyn Base Camp filter, but I'm not sure I want to count on it. Used it a bit, but for shorter trips w/less people. Makes it nice when you don't have to load a ton of water jugs. And I always have a plan "B" & a plan "C" (iodine/propane).

Just curious How it will hold up w/that kind of use. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

MountainMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2010   #2

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Water quality this time of year will be excellent. Your gravity filter should work fine, but they are a bit slow, so you might want a few more filters if you have a full permit. You can get safe drinking water at Indian creek and flying B also.
Old 07-23-2010   #3

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
We use the Katadyn Base Camp filter all the time on the Middle Fork and Main Salmon. Works great. Filters a large volume in a reasonable amount of time. We can usually fill a 3 gallon water container in about 15 minutes or so. Hang it as high as possible. Beats pumping with a smaller filter.
A Middle Fork virgin!!!! You lucky dog. You'll love it. It's absolutely gorgeous. Make sure you stop for a soak at Sunflower and Loon. Refill water, ice, and get ice cream at the "B." And don't forget your fly rod ..... fishing is great.
have fun
KJ
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2010   #4

Normally the water quality is excellent, but after several years of wildfires and it being thunderstorm season, blowouts have been occurring in August. These cloud up the river for several days.

You can settle the water overnight with alum added to a bucket. That's the normal way of doing it before filtering on desert rivers.
cadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010   #5

Indian Hills, Colorado
You can hike up to the ranch at Sheepeater and they'll fill you up on water and help you carry it for a few beers. (Super nice guys) There's also a spring just below waterfall creek. Hike toward the footbridge from the falls on the trail and you'll see a little trail down to the spring. Spring might be thin by mid summer. There's plenty of side tribs to fill up on.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010   #6

I think you are confusing Sheepeater HS with Loon Creek HS. There's no ranch close to Sheepeater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanOrion View Post
You can hike up to the ranch at Sheepeater and they'll fill you up on water and help you carry it for a few beers. (Super nice guys)
cadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010   #7

Indian Hills, Colorado
yep, i meant loon.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010   #8

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
ultraviolet (UV)

Anyone ever use the ultraviolet devices to purify water? Can you zap the water as you use it? Looks quick and no need to carry a lot of water??? Anyone use one on extended river trips? I do not mean to hijack your post, hopping we can both use the information. Thanks.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010   #9

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
thanks for the info!

i'd be interested in the uv thing as well, never talked to anyone that has used one.
MountainMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010   #10
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
Anyone ever use the ultraviolet devices to purify water? Can you zap the water as you use it? Looks quick and no need to carry a lot of water??? Anyone use one on extended river trips? I do not mean to hijack your post, hopping we can both use the information. Thanks.
We have used them on.......can't say which river. They are considered a mechanical device or something and cannot be used on the MF. Legally that is.

I have.......heard of some who used them on the MF. The "report" was that they worked exceptionally well. No one on 'that' trip had to carry water and they had as much as they needed at each camp.

So just make sure that the pump is tucked away. Especially if the rangers are out there.
I would assume you might just get a warning.
carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote