Mexico Boat Option - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-03-2012   #1

Carbondale, Colorado
Mexico Boat Option

Headed to Mexico in a few weeks trying to decide if i should bring my kayak, mini me, or both. Its cheaper to just take the mini. But would i be missing out on great kayaking. I am going down with another paddler, so the mini could be a lot of fun. Any ideas?

ScottyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2012   #2

Austin, Texas
Paddling Since: 1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyDoo View Post
Headed to Mexico in a few weeks trying to decide if i should bring my kayak, mini me, or both. Its cheaper to just take the mini. But would i be missing out on great kayaking. I am going down with another paddler, so the mini could be a lot of fun. Any ideas?
Where are you going in MX? If you are going to San Louise Potosi, Valles, There is a river call The Rio Tampion or the Bridge of the gods. It is a fun run for the Mini. All the other rivers in that area are more kayaking rivers (vert. drops). If you venture further South to Veracruz, there are more rivers you can use it on and you will get more use out of it. If you go to Veracruz take it to the Biricca (sp) Grande. It is a full day run, with 4+ at the end. It is unbelievable! Just get the shuttle started early! Let me know. I have been down to MX over 25 times and have taken the Mini on a few of the trips. I have some shuttle connections and friends down in Valles.
liquidphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012   #3

Carbondale, Colorado
We are going to Huataluco, its pretty far south i believe. I have a friend down there that owns a company. Im trying to find rental options there but he told me that he is the only company in the area. So it seems that i will be flying everything down.
ScottyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2012   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Did 'nt you post about flying into Mexico City then going by bus to Huatulco? With an inflatable this should not be too much of a problem.Not sure how compact or heavy a min i-me is.I have lugged a duffel with ducky -two break down paddles -Pfd-helmet -pump -booties -paddle pants and rash guard -waterbottle with built in filter -throw bag -minimalist wrap kit (slings, biners, pulley), plus day pack for clothes, toileteries, reading materials, and camera.That is a enough stuff to lug around on buses.

Adding a kayak and skirt complicates things.The buses,especially the one you want for a long trip like that, are very nice and professionally run with a large cargo hold underneath.A creek boat might not fit.They might charge extra for do many bags /kayaks.One duffle for boat and another for gear between two guys would probably work.For kayaking a two.piece apx. 210 cm paddle barely fit in the biggest duffelbag REI sold.How long are your raft paddles?( longer than 105 cm I assume) .The taxis in Mexico City are 95 % Volkswagon bugs.There are several bus terminals for different companies and for different directions.Research ahead of time to avoid chaos with a bunch of gear and no. clue.If you are lucky, the station within walking distsnce has the bus you want.If staying in Mexico City for a while ( recommended) there should be lockers ore storage of some sort at the airport.I 'd rent a car if taking kayaks.

ifferent directions
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #5

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I read somewhere that Grant Amaral has some land near Huatulco.He might have some boats down there, if you can contact him,search Expediciones AGUA AZUL.

One route to Oaxaca goes near the Gulf Coast pretty close to the Veracruz boating.You could go there for part of the time, raft, and rent kayaks for a few runs around Jalcomulco.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote